Newly Installed Slip fit shower drain leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

MoonmanH3

Reaction score
Hello all,

We are installing an acrylic shower base and I wanted to test fit the drain. I am using this drain: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/pro-connect-abs-shower-drain-white-grid-slipfit/1000117477

It seems like a fairly typical design for 2” drains. There are several versions of this type of drain in the big box store I frequent.

When I assemble everything, it leaks through the interior of the drain (I.e, not the tub seal which is silicon sealed). As well, I believe I have the rubber compression gasket and compression nut oriented properly.

My questions are:
1) how far up does the 2” ABS pipe need to extend into the drain?
2) how much does one need to tighten the collar? As much as possible or just enough to press the compression gasket against the ABS pipe?
3) what are typical mistakes newbies make with the installation of this type of drain?

Thanks in advance,
MoonmanH3

F9944AD8-7749-4D5C-9392-DF1D0AECADB5.jpeg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
We ONLY install the brass version of those shower drains. The plastic is crap. The bottom nut often jumps the threads.
We always use a full round installation tool to tighten the top compression nut. Oatey 42239
The pipe needs to be fully to the top of the gasket. Have never had one leak in 46 years.
Sorry you are having trouble but maybe a blessing to have an opportunity to use brass before it is later in the game.

oatey-drain-wrench.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks