Newer Tankless Technology - Venting & Condensate

Discussion in 'Tankless Water Heater Forum' started by proxybox, Dec 16, 2016.

1. proxybox

proxybox New Member

Q1: From the past, I've always read to direct acidic vent condensate to the outside on a horizontal vent run or capture/dispose it if going vertical for condensating tankless water heaters. I've been reading up on Navien and Noritz units and they both say to tilt horizontal lines back toward the unit so condensate drips back into the heat exchanger. Navien also says its okay to vent vertically straight up. I realize that the vent condensate combines with the heat exchanger condensate and drips out of the drain plug. Why has this changed? Are heat exchangers more robust now that they are using stainless steel instead of copper?

Q2: With PVC vents, it is recommended to put a Tee as a termination.
    vent1.PNG vent2.PNG
    or an elbow. Is there scenarios where one should use either one?

vent3.PNG

In regards to the tees, it seems like rain and wind can come down the vent with this configuration. Can one use a cap like this one from Noritz PRC-1? Or is the tee used because it allows a better flow?
    vent4.PNG

Thanks!

2. Dana

Dana In the trades

Heat exchanger materials have indeed improved, and in cold areas dumping the condensate on the ground outside can result in ice build up. Not a problem in L.A., eh?

Tee terminated side venting offers slightly less backpressure and greater dispersion of the moisture-rich exhaust than ells, for less condensation/frost forming on the siding of the house, which is also not a issue for you.

An ell pointed at the ground where it can't catch the rain is probably the "right" solution for you.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. proxybox

proxybox New Member

I need a logical answer to things and now I have one!!! Yes, we don't have ice or freezing issues here in the coastal area of LA but interestingly less than an hour or two away we have mountains where it snows. Wink, wink as a nod to your user icon of skiers. I'm a skier myself!

I really appreciate the answer. Now it all makes sense.