Newby looking for help with first rough in...

Users who are viewing this thread

uglybus

Reaction score
I am in the process of turning a 20' x 30' room into a small 1 bedroom home. It is the first phase of a 3 phase project that will end up a 2-3 bedroom 2 bathroom home with a half basement. The part I am working on now is a half house on a block foundation with a clean crawlspace. The other half of the structure covers a 14' wide mobile home, which will be removed upon the completion of this first phase. I have it framed, the electrical in and am ready to rough in the plumbing. I have a pex manifold and a gas tankless water heater. I am fairly confident on the supply side, but have questions on DWV design. I have studied what I can find about the regulations, but find seeming contradictions. Maybe you can help me.
DWV plan.jpg

a>

In the above image, all the plumbing fixtures being on the same level, do I need a 3" main vent protruding through the roof, or will a 1-1/2 or 2" inch suffice? I will be adding a second bathroom grouping at a later time and could either tie into this vent, or add another, but would prefer only one hole in the roof if possible.
Also I am unsure as to when to use a sanitary tee - except upside down in a vent system. Are they ever okay for use to connect a 1-1/2 or 2" horizontal drain pipe to a 3" horizontal drain pipe? I am confused, so am inclined only to use wyes, unless somebody can clarify. Thanks, Neal in Handy, Indiana

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks