Newbie with Shallow Well needs some advise

Users who are viewing this thread

Jmhm17

Reaction score
So I was googling and came across this site and did some poking around and discovered a few things and I have many questions. let me explain my setup and situation before I ask..

I have a shallow well with a Goulds Jplus 1/2hp jet pump connected to a 20 gallon well x trol tank set at 30/50. the other night the primer plug rusted out and blew off and I freaked out and had to call a plumber at 1:30am and paid literally 300 bucks for a new plug... Since then I have been doing nothing but trying to educate my self on this set up. The plumber told my that my setup was at the end of its life and it needed to be replaced ASAP. they quoted me almost 2grand! I know I can do this my self for well under a grand...

So like most shallow well setups I was just going to buy the same stuff and plumb it all up my self, easy right? it is.. however i'm tired of the fluctuation in pressure and constant cycling of the pump as its loud and I know it causes additional wear on both the tank and pump, and its causing hammering. So I figured I had no fix until I started reading about this CSV setup, and it sounds great. Until I started reading the CSV site and I need to do all these calculations and what not to figure out what i need..

I like the idea of the CSV, and I want to do this setup. I think that the DIY kit should suffice for what I need. but I cant figure out my GPM and flow rate and well depth and whatnot so im really confused on what CSV, size tank, and pump to get. I want to just get another 1/2hp pump but im not sure if its powerful enough for constant pressure. I have a fairly small house its a single story ranch with 1 bath, 1 kitchen 1 dishwasher, a washing machine, and 3 out side spickets. its me my wife and we have a son on the way, and plan to have another down the road some time. so there will be 4 people using water eventually.

My question is can I get the PSIkick setup and hook it up to a 1/2hp jet pump and be good? or will I have to do some more calculating? Also I plan to add another filter (carbon) im not sure if this affects anything. I am by no means a plumber, I'm a dedicated DIYer thats just trying to save some coin on my new home. Please help!

Reach4

Reaction score
On your well system, you have a single pipe from the pump that goes into the well, right? Do you have any particularly big water use loads, or pretty normal household use?

Tell us about the filter. Is the carbon filter for the purpose of taking out chlorine that you are injecting, or some kind of contaminant from the well or not?

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reply. Yes there is only one pipe coming from the well (see pic). as for use I would say its pretty normal use. My heavy hitters would be the shower/tub and the washer. I do wash my truck once a week. but other than that its typical. The filter was there, I have changed it once (only been here 3 months) I assume its for sediment as it was pretty rusty colored looking in the canister, i got a carbon one to just be safe. and I wanted to add another cause they are cheap and the fact im drinking water from a hole in the ground is still new to me and freaks me out a bit..

Also note that when we emptied the tank the gauge was sitting at 10psi, I know it says 60 right now and I said 50 on my previous post I assume its just 10 psi off.. Please let me know if you need anymore info. Oh also the plumber told me that this system is going to fail any day now and I should do something about it immediately.. is this true? And again thank you for the help

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I expect 8B97 means that the unit was made in plant 8 in February of 1997, and I expect the B97 on the motor probably means the same.

Maybe you would get another 10 years. It is prudent to start looking now. I would not say that it should be replaced immediately.

Filter-wise, it may well be that a backwashing filter could be good for you. It can take out iron and sediment. So can a chlorination system, and that has the advantage of killing bacteria that might leak into your shallow well.

If you were to stay with the cartridges, I like the 20 x 4.5 Pentek Big Blue filter housings. I would probably put two housing in place. There are a lot of different cartridges available in that size. A cartridge filter is normally not going to be able to deal with dissolved iron, but it can remove rust particles and most sediment. I think a carbon element is probably not as well suited to you.

Consider the well-check test from NTL Labs to tell you about your drinking water, and what kind of treatment is in order. http://www.ntllabs.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=NTL&Category_Code=Homeowner

I am not a pro.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Wow 30 years for that pump huh? Looks like I should be getting another Gould (I was looking at Wayne).
so what about a CSV setup? Can I get more info on that? Would I need a stronger pump with a smaller tank? Like i said i read a lot of the page I just want some one to dumb it down for my system. and what i need.

Also my well pipe looks sketchy and id like to clean it up when I do a new system. I need recomendations

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
What a cobbled up mess.

8B97- Feb 8 '97

It looks as though the suction line is reduced from 1' to 3/4, a definite no no. In addition, there is a check valve in line which tells me the footvalve is probably no good either.

You can use the same make and model pump and put a PsideKick on it with no problem, but you need to redo the suction line so the system will operate at its full potential.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Thanks Craig, can you elaborate on the suction line? Do you mean run a new one or fix the part you can see? I can imagine this is a big job to replace the whole thing and a new foot valve.

Also i thought the check valve was needed so pressure was not sent back to the well.

The reason i was looking at different pumps is because this one is loud. Its right under my living room and its pretty annoying when it runs. Im not sure if its because its old but if a new one is going to be that loud with a CSV its going to be realy really annoying..

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A check valve is needed, but you want it at the bottom of the suction line, which makes it called a foot valve. No other check valve should be used. A new pump should not be as noisy. Especially if you will get it off the top of the tank, set it on a rubber pad, and use a piece of flexible pipe on the discharge like you have on the suction to isolate vibration.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Thanks Valveman. I was just looking up foot valves when you responded, and all they are is a heavy duty check valves with a screen. I plan to plumb the CSV system with PVC up to the filter. If I go with a CSV system then the pump will be sitting on that box the tank is on and should prevent noise.

As for the suction tube it will have to stay the way it is for now (unless there is a DIY fix). My well is only about 25 away feet on the other side of that wall but that tube goes under my driveway. What should the diameter be of the suction tube?

Thanks for the fast replies! I am really itching to get a CSV system in place

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's loud because the tank acts somewhat like a drum and the vibrations carry through the copper tubing. If you want silent, spring for an up grade to a submersible.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
I haven't seen the inside of my well but it is very large in diameter. it has a roof over it.. I thought a submersible had to be in an artesian well

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Thats cool! I might do that when i overhaul my system. I gotta peak down the well first. Im curiouse how deep it is and how much water is actualy in it. I always have this fear im going to run out..

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Im also curiouse.. if i redo the suction line is water going to gush out of it if i take it all apart?

Reach4

Reaction score
Normally you would turn off the pump and open a faucet to take the pressure out of the pressure tank. You have that white check valve inside which would not normally be there. So depending, that might keep things from gushing even if you did not let the pressure out. Also, some jet pumps need to have the whole line filled with water for priming. Others you just have to fill the pump and it can develop suction to finish the job.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
With the tank and pump drained i ment. And i only have one tube. i think only deep well jet pumps need that venturi line.

I had to drain everything when the plug blew so i know what to do there. the pump takes a gallon or so.

But im just worried if i clean up the pipes when i pop that check vavle off if im going to be in trouble. I will literaly be screwed if all the water from the well comes gushing in. It honestly scares me to think about it. How would i even stop it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks