Newbie trying to make sense of a 72 deg F artesian spring heat system

Users who are viewing this thread

Idaho Scott

Reaction score
Just bought a large cabin in Southern Idaho that has a continuously flowing 72 degree F. spring with about 20 feet of head (out of the mountain, up behind the home. The original owners piped this water straight into 2 inch PVC that runs in (under) the basement concrete slab of the home and the garage. The system drains straight into the river at the edge of the property. The water flows 24/7 at about 100 Gallons per minute. The challenge is how to "tap into" the current system to add low temp radiant heat to the walls, floors and ceilings during our remodeling. Also interested in putting the 100 GPM to work in a micro hydro electric generation system...
Problems so far:
1) With the open system flowing 24/7, I don't know how to "boost" the water up into the second floor pex loops without inserting pumps into the system? Are pumps the best way?
2.) At 72 degrees, what is the best way maximize the heat transfer in the winter? Do aluminum transfer plates help at low temps?
3.) What else should I be thinking about with this unique set up?

Thank you.

Idaho Scott

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With only 20' of head, you cannot get the water up the 20'-25' second story without a pump. But tap into that line with a little jet pump and a PK1A to control it and you can have as much pressure as you want.

Idaho Scott

Reaction score
Thank you Valveman. I appreciate the reply. I'll look into the pump / PK1A solution for pressure.

With only 20' of head, you cannot get the water up the 20'-25' second story without a pump. But tap into that line with a little jet pump and a PK1A to control it and you can have as much pressure as you want.
[/QUOTE

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks