Newbie question about toilet fitup

Users who are viewing this thread

Tomdude

Half Fast Handyman
Reaction score
Good afternoon. I have a toilet to install and am not sure how to proceed. The toilet flange is thick PVC and sticks up about 3/8 inch above the floor. The flange is PVC and slip fits into the cast iron pipe and is screwed to the wood floor. I checked an American Standard toilet and the horn seems to be level with the toilet base. This means the back of the toilet will be about 1/2 inch off the floor due to the horn hitting the flange. This will leave a big gap and need two tall stacks of shims. Is there a lower profile flange I can install to bring the toilet closer to the floor? This is a rental and I want to make this install as abuse proof as possible. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. The toilet horn may sit inside of the closet flange bowl. A rope of modeling clay could be used to dry-fit the toilet and measure for clearance. Wax does not need thickness, but you don't want the toilet to rock on the flange. Lifting the toilet a tad with shims could accommodate if it's close. Always have shims in place before dropping the toilet onto wax.

index.php

2. I think some toilet horns don't get as close as 3/8 to the level of the surface, but I may be mistaken. Try using a straight edge and measure carefully. Or maybe measure a different toilet. If that is an older toilet, a newer one might be a nice upgrade, plus accommodate the thick ring.

3. Could it be that the existing flange is a Push-Tite 886-GP? If so, you could replace that with a 887-GPM, and have a much thinner stainless steel ring. https://www.siouxchief.com/products/drainage/residential/closet-flanges/pushtite

4. If that is a PVC flange into a donut or some other means of connection, how about you sand off the upper 1/4 inch of PVC with a belt sander. Then put a repair ring over that to give the strength you need to hold down the toilet. Those come in different styles, including those with ears that let you hold that down with screws outside of the PVC ring. I am not a plumber, and this last one is not a normal thing to do.

5. A Toto Unifit toilet might work. The Soiree or Vespin II for example. If interested in that, there is more info. Those are not low-priced toilets.

Last edited:

Tomdude

Half Fast Handyman
Reaction score
Thanks Reach4! The photo you posted makes perfect sense. The horn on the American Standard looks like it will fit inside the flange. The existing flange looks like a push tite 866-GP, so, I can replace it with a thinner version if needed. The original toilet is an old Mancesa, and I want to go with a new toilet. I just mentioned American Standard because Home Depot has them in stock.

The toilet will be in a rental with lots of high energy kids. I want the install to be as solid as possible.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks