Newbie Help getting PVC out of Cast Iron

Users who are viewing this thread

EricElf

Reaction score
My 1st-floor toilet drain had a crack in it. Decided to try and replace. See picture of the underside from the basement. I am a DIY guy with little plumbing experience. This is a 3" PVC pipe going into what looks to me to be a 4" cast iron, which leads into the main stack.

The PVC pipe has epoxy(?) or something around it. Best I can think of is to try and drill it out bit by bit, but that seems like it will take forever and maybe never work. I fear much additional work may be needed. Also, extremely limited workspace. I was hoping it was a rubber donut like I was going to put back in.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

TIA, Eric

CutDrain.jpg

EricElf

Reaction score
After 2hrs of drilling and prying in 6" of space and overhead, I finally got it out. The 3" PVC had a rim on it that made it extra challenging. Thanks so much for your prompt reply. You saved my day. I would have been tempted to give up without your knowledge.

You rock! Eric

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks