Newbie having issues with humming in pipes, different from others?

Users who are viewing this thread

pappystubs

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I've been having issues in the last month or so. I'll try to list everything right up front.
I have random humming/slash viberation in the water pipes at the front of my house within a few feet from where it comes in. It can get loud, but not a water hammer sound. Actually sounds like a surging in and out pulsating hum noise. You can feel it in the pipes. Does this without me using any water anywhere in the house. Seems to be more in the early day when neighbors are up and about and beggining their day. and again in the evening between dinner and bedtime.
When I turn the water on in the house anywhere it stops, if I turn it off sometimes it comes back, other times it doesn't. It'll eventually stop by itself within a 5-10 minute span. I do have a pressure reg valve in the house. Haven't had anything replaced recently and no leaking toilets or anything else. I live in a tiownhouse and have the meter outside in the sidewalk in front of my house. My and my neighbors meter are both in there. Turning off my main water valve doesn't stop it, just lessen it. It's been getting worse lately by the day. Any idea's, need help big time?

pappystubs

Reaction score
Probly coming from your neighbors house. Ask him if he hears it. Most likely a loose washer in one of the valves or faucets
Thank's for the quick response. Neighbor is a pretty anal guy, can't see him having a faucet dripping or toilet. How would he or I trace which or what is the problem? Any possability it could be a meter or main shut off valve out in the sidewalk?

pappystubs

Reaction score
Thank's for the quick response. Neighbor is a pretty anal guy, can't see him having a faucet dripping or toilet. How would he or I trace which or what is the problem? Any possability it could be a meter or main shut off valve out in the sidewalk?
think it's odd how its only certain times. driving me nuts.

Reach4

Reaction score
First, does he hear it from his place?

pappystubs

Reaction score
says he has ocassional noise and thinks its pressure related. but nothing like mine. Just woke me again last night at midnight. Loud hard pulsating hum, pipes on outside wall where pipe comes in viberating away big time. Turn on water it stops, turn off and it comes right back. eventually stops.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would ask the water department to see if they would help.

pappystubs

Reaction score
they came out this morning. Pretty much scratched their head. They think it's on their side, but not sure. They requested a maintence order be put in for a possible broken main.
Wouldn't my pressure be less? it's not, it's strong.
Seems to be only affecting my house and my neighbors. His sons bedroom is in the front and says he hears it. I guess time will tell, the two out here today were a couple lazy clowns. They work for the city of Baltimore s water department. Yet the one hates getting wet and has the other do all the work.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would get a cheap pressure gauge that fits on an outside faucet. The cheap gauges will let you see every vibration in the line. Liquid filled gauges have snubbers so you can't see the spikes and vibration.

pappystubs

Reaction score
ok, they came out again today and found that the meter yoke was cracked at each end. Said this could cause the viberation. replaced it and strolled. Haven't had an issue yet, but normally don't till early am and late at night. Could that have been a cause? I'm out to lunch on that.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Larger cities will often have a check valve on the water coming into your home. This prevents any potential pollutants that might get into your home's water from being able to get back out to the street, and poisoning others. The pressure gauge may help tell you what's going on. One possibility is that it is related to expansion, after hot water use, the heating of water expands it...if the check valve is leaking a bit, as it expands, it may let pulses of water out rather than blocking it. If that's the case, and I'm nowhere near confident without more info that it is, you'd see the pressure rise, then drop dramatically, then slowly rise again, then drop. The solution would be twofold, fix their check valve (probably replace it), and, to account for the thermal expansion, install an expansion tank in your home on the cold water inlet to the water heater to absorb that increased volume. If it is that, and they replace the check valve...you'd now have your T&P valve on the WH opening to relieve that increased pressure resulting from the increased volume from thermal expansion without an ET to absorb it.

The pressure gauge may tell all. Interpreting it may be tougher! Let us know what you see when this is happening. If you can tie it into happening after using some hot water, that is a good thing to know as well.

pappystubs

Reaction score
ok, bought a pressure gauge. Pressure was a bit high, had the pressure reg valve replaced. While the valve was off and removed from the pipes and the main inside the house was off, there was still a vibration coming from the cold feed that entered the house. have had the city out several times, their useless. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks