Newbie can stop leak on new plastic outlet waste center

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I am putting in a new plastic 1.5" center outlet waste on a laundry sink.

This is supposed to be simple plumbing stuff but of course it's not working for me.

Both sides are leaking at the same joint -- the top most nut on the tail piece of the drain/strainer. I am wondering if it's because of the non-flanged washer included in the kit (the other washers are flanged but that what the instructions called for this connection).

I used Teflon tape.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
washer

I guess your saying that those washers are not flanged but the others are is what is confusing, because those are the only two washers that SHOULD be flanged. The others should be tapered without a flange.

Reaction score
now i'm more confused

Terry: thanks. I removed the tape and the leaks disappeared. Does that mean I shouldn't use Teflon tape for plastic pipe connections?

HJ: I thought flanged meant tapered. It looks like I got them in the right place anyway. thanks

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Teflon tape or pipe dope normally only goes on pipe threads - i.e., the tapered type. The compression nuts are standard threads - the washer or compression ring or flange is making the seal, not the threads. The tape can jam up the threads and prevent you from tightening the compression washer enough to prevent a leak. Pipe dope usually doesn't help, either, since the connection is not designed for it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks