Newb with Plumbing Issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevs02Accord

Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forums. I just bought a new house and am having some plumbing problems, among others. Here is the current situation; we have a tri / quad level home. In the basement laundry room there are w/d hook ups and a utility sink. Originally the washer drain was in the sink. We had to replace the washer water hook-up valves. We decided to hire one of my wifes friends, a handy man. His idea was to replace the valves but to move them over and add a box to attach the washer drain. Aesthetically this would like nicer. He attached the drain in the box to the utility sink, above the trap. The first time we used the washer it overflowed from the new drain box. We moved the drain back to the sink. They guy came back out and sanked the sink drain. They rain the washer, on full 2 times without any problems. We were doing laundry again this week and I decided to check to see if there was any water, I noticed there was some behind the washer, not as much as the first time when it over flowed but I could see there was definately water. I was looking around the forums trying to figure out how to hook it up correctly and wasn't getting any where. I have included a very, very crude drawing, as I am at work now.

Plumbing Drawing.jpg

Is it possible to tell from this drawing if its hooked up correctly? What other information do you need? From what I can tell the drain pipe is the same diameter throughout, I would guess 2" but I can measure when I get home. I also don't remember seeing a vent, but the pipe from the utility sink appears to head into the wall / slab. I will have to check again to see if the pipe goes up to vent or what. Any help would be appreciated.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Can't tell from your diagram....but a washer needs a 2" drain, with trap location and standpipe height per code. You may also have a drain obstruction....sending the washer into the sink buffers the output, but pump it directly to a stand pipe and it can't keep up. Some photos would help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks