New well set up: 2" for 50'? Pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Verywellfl

Reaction score
SE Florida, near intercostal/ocean

Well driller suggests 2" well, 50feet. He said 2" is all I need. He doesn't want to go deeper to avoid salt water.
I have a brand new 0.5HP shallow well pump, which I thought is only good for wells up to 25 feet. Well driller said it would work.
Quote is $2,000- isn't this very high?

Any input is highly appreciated!

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
I have a brand new 0.5HP shallow well pump, which I thought is only good for wells up to 25 feet.
The depth of the well is not the issue. It is the vertical distance down to the top of the water that must be ~25 feet or less.

The foot valve for the pump may be placed anywhere between 26 and 50 feet down, but as long as the water level in the well is always less than 25' vertically to the pump inlet, then a shallow well pump should be able to draw water from the well.

Last edited:

Verywellfl

Reaction score
The depth of the well is not the issue. It is the distance down to the top of the water that must be ~25 feet or less.

The foot valve for the pump may be placed anywhere between 26 and 50 feet down, but as long as the water level in the well is always 25' or less to the pump inlet, then a shallow well pump should be able to draw water from the well to the pump.
Thank you so much for explaining! Reading up on wells all night...but I didn't get it before. one worry less ( for now) Thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks