New well bad tasting water

Users who are viewing this thread

Brad Perkins

Reaction score
Drilled a 180ft well that makes 1 gal/min. I've been using a cycle sensor to pump it dry over and over to develop it. Clarity is great but the taste is off. It's almost bitter but what is strange is I only taste it for the first minute or so and then it's not noticed. I almost think it's salty and waiting on test results now. If it's salt then why only for a short time? I'm planning on installing a RO unit anyway to drink but I'm concerned about appliances

Reach4

Reaction score
It's almost bitter but what is strange is I only taste it for the first minute or so and then it's not noticed.
The results of your water test will be interesting.
  1. You put water into a pitcher, and let the pitcher sit overnight. In the morning, do you taste the problem?
  2. You run cold water for 5 minutes to the tub. Collect a glass of the flowing water. Do you taste the problem?
  3. You hold your nose and drink. Do you taste the problem?

Brad Perkins

Reaction score
I'll try the pitcher test. I don't have water going into my house yet. I'm pulling it straight from the well. Should have test results soon so I know what treatments I'll need

Brad Perkins

Reaction score
Thanks but I've already paid for a comprehensive water test locally. Waiting on results

Worked on the house today so I tasted the well several times. The bitter flavor only lasts a short time. There is no taste from the majority of the water. It's like salt or another mineral leaches into the water as it sets so you get a taste but only briefly.

Reach4

Reaction score
I was asking that you clarify. Is it like you get used to the taste quickly? That is what I think you were saying.

Brad Perkins

Reaction score
Not at all. I sample it every 30 sec or so and I can tell the flavor changes. In fact the last time I tasted nothing for a couple minutes then salty for maybe 1 min. It cleared up and tasted fine till it pumped dry

Reach4

Reaction score
Get a TDS meter. You will need one for your RO unit anyway. See if the reading changes much from sample to sample.

That way you can see whether the water changes, or your perception changes.

Brad Perkins

Reaction score
I can try that. My tastebuds aren't lying. I can definitely tell the taste changes as the water column is pumped down. At first the well had a bit of sulfur smell but I cured that with Clorox. Too several days of pumping to get that taste out. Now the smell is gone, water is clear but this issue. Maybe it will go away too in time?? I'll be moving in early next month

Bannerman

Reaction score
Maybe it will go away too in time??
Until your lab test results arrive, all anyone can do is speculate.

A TDS meter will only tell you the total amount of dissolved solids, not the specific solids you are measuring. The lab test will indicate not only solids but also other specific elements and contaminants in your water and the amount of each, so as to help to identify the usual causes of the conditions you are experiencing so as to assist in deciding appropriate treatment methods.

Brad Perkins

Reaction score
I understand. What I'm trying to gauge is if this is typically how contaminants behave in the water or if something unusual is going on. I assumed the first ounce pumped would tasted same as the last

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Be sure to test the water at its worst. Bitter can be a multitude of problems but extremely high hardness can impart a bitter flavor. High alkalinity, high pH and many other problems can also cause this. Please post the results when you get them.\\As to the question of will the well water stabilize, unknown. Total guess to say yes or no.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks