New water well

Users who are viewing this thread

dENNIS MEYER

Reaction score
I'm planing on having a 4'' well driled it should be about 250' deep. I would like to save myself some money by installing the submersible pump myself. There will be two people one strong & one week . If I install using threaded pvc pipe do you think the two people could do it ? Is there a clamp that I could buy that would hold the pvc pipe in place to keek the pump from falling in the well, to add another length of pipe ?

If you have suggestions on what else I could do,I'm all ears.

Thanks for any help you can give me

Dennis

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
They do make and sell clamps specifically for the job but I just use a wood block clamp.

wood-clamp-424.jpg

If you want to go big...
http://www.americawestdrillingsupply.com/WellPipeClamps.asp

dENNIS MEYER

Reaction score
They do make and sell clamps specifically for the job but I just use a wood block clamp.

wood-clamp-424.jpg

If you want to go big...
http://www.americawestdrillingsupply.com/WellPipeClamps.asp

Thanks for the clamp info. I have been trying to find out some information on the pvc pipe not having much luck. I would like to know is it male on one end & femail on the other or are they both male ? I would also like know what the weight per 10, length would be ?

Thanks

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Depends on the PVC couplings. We use sch 1" 120 pipe with sch 120 couplings here all the time down to 700' with no problems.

The biggest problem you will have using sch 80 is holding it steady & straight up n down while you screw it together. See if you can rent an up z dazy with a halo, it will make life much, much easier and safer too!

Better yet, call a pump guy with a good solid reputation and have him do it. He has all the equipment, the knowledge, and the job will be guaranteed.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
I found myself without my hoist the other day replacing a twin-line jet for a sub. The location was too wet for the truck (38' boom). We screwed all the pipe in on the ground (stainless couplings) and ran it in one string. It's tough to tape the wire good to the pipe doing it like this...but we only had 3 joints. Everything went well. You can use 1" sch 80 PVC...no need for 1.25" pipe unless you're using a high volume pump. A pair of vice grips works really well to hold the pipe for taping etc. Squeeze em down tight, you won't hut the pipe.

Just make sure you get the wire tight (no slack in the well) and get everything ready first including the well seal at the top (a piece of tape under the well seal will hold it in place. cut the wire 2-3 ft above the well seal and put it through. I always put a junction box right at the well seal anyways.

Good luck!!

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
They make it both ways....but the pipe I'm familiar with is sch 80 with male ends on both sides (threaded). They make some stuff that is MXF so you don't need to buy any couplings. I use stainless or brass couplings but you can use galv. if you have good water. If you do use galv. make sure you tape the couplings up. As a rule I avoid putting galv. pipe in a pvc well unless the whole string is galv. Brass/Stainless couplings are about $10-15 retail.

What is the water level in the well and how much GPM does it make?

Thanks for the clamp info. I have been trying to find out some information on the pvc pipe not having much luck. I would like to know is it male on one end & femail on the other or are they both male ? I would also like know what the weight per 10, length would be ?

Thanks

dENNIS MEYER

Reaction score
Thanks for all the good replies. If I go with the polly, what would be the best way to fasten to pump ? Would I have to splice two rolls togather if so what would the best way to splice it be ?

Thanks to all.

Dennis

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I would use one long roll, not two shorter ones to avoid a splice. A long barb fitting should be used at the pump.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
No you can get poly in 100', 200', 300', 400, & 500' rolls. You need to use a male x insert adapter that is made of the same material the pump is. For example, stainless pump, stainless adapter. But for a few dollars more you can buy sch 80.

I have heard of people screwing sch 80 together on the ground and running it in, but I have never done it.

Personally, I hate seeing a submersible in a well hung on poly. The stuff is designed for being in a trench. Why? Go pull out a few hundred feet of poly. In addition to the stuff having a memory and wanting to curl up, it's all over the yard, in the dirt & dog crap, the wire gets knots in it...... Sch 80 can be laid out on blocks to keep it out of the dirt, you can get the wire taped off so there is no slack, the wire can be rolled up on a reel when the pump needs to be changed....it's just makes for a nicer, cleaner, more professional installation with a far less chance of picking up and transferring surface contamination to the well.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
its made by doc brown from back to the future.

looks like a big pita. glad we dont have poly here, pump hoists are easy.

Last edited:

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
+1. I won't use poly.

No you can get poly in 100', 200', 300', 400, & 500' rolls. You need to use a male x insert adapter that is made of the same material the pump is. For example, stainless pump, stainless adapter. But for a few dollars more you can buy sch 80.

I have heard of people screwing sch 80 together on the ground and running it in, but I have never done it.

Personally, I hate seeing a submersible in a well hung on poly. The stuff is designed for being in a trench. Why? Go pull out a few hundred feet of poly. In addition to the stuff having a memory and wanting to curl up, it's all over the yard, in the dirt & dog crap, the wire gets knots in it...... Sch 80 can be laid out on blocks to keep it out of the dirt, you can get the wire taped off so there is no slack, the wire can be rolled up on a reel when the pump needs to be changed....it's just makes for a nicer, cleaner, more professional installation with a far less chance of picking up and transferring surface contamination to the well.

dENNIS MEYER

Reaction score
I would like to thank every one for there replies. I think I will let the well guy set the pump, it will cost more then if I did it but it will be cheaper then a hospital bill.

I do have one other question. The well will be used to water two lawns no in house use. One of the houses will need 300' of pipe run to get water to the house. The well guy is saying that I should use a 1.5 hp 22 gallon per min.pump what do you guys think ? There is about a 4' rise from the well to the end of the 300'. This pipe will be feeding 3/4'' pipe. I under stand the well tank has 1.25'' outlet. Should I use 1'' or 1 1/4 pipe for the 300' ?

We will not water on the same day's.

Thanks
Dennis

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good choice getting your driller to set the pump, that's what we do for a living!

I think the well needs to be drilled before you size the pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks