New water well cloudy and initial odor

Users who are viewing this thread

viper1

Reaction score
First should mention I am not new to water wells. Have drilled them before. I have a newer rural property and knew it was going to be sketchy to get much flowrate around here. I had a friend/pro well driller do this one. I was onsite to make the calls based on what we hit. Basically nothing but gray shale/clay from 10-120ft. I set the pump at 80ft and started running tests. I have had the well set for 2yrs and it is a 5" PVC cased well with perf from 20-120ft. It is Benonite plugged on the top 20. It will never get submerged. I have not yet shocked the well with chlorine.

My initial strategy was to work on developing the well a bit. The well has been at rest well over a year and just getting back to it. I had an initial odor from the water that was very obvious and lasted 10min or so. I pumped on the well tonight for an hour. The odor went away but I have cloudy water. I am likely over-pulling the well as I am trying to purposely induce some pressure in there improve the flowrate. It started on the first test 2yrs ago and I could pull the well dry at 8gpm. I ran today at 12gpm and never did suck air. Water seems to clear up for a while, then get back to cloudy. I am trying to figure out if I should just run for extended times to let the well clean up or if I am just over-driving it?

for reference, my static water level is about 18ft and I am sure I am pumping this down to 50-60ft while pumping. I have never seen a well that would not clear up with time. I probably have about 5-10hrs worth of pumping on it to date. I know on some wells, we will push them for 24hrs or more. Do I need to keep pushing it to rinse all the drill muds out or do we have larger concerns?

Hydrogen Sulfide is something I am worried about now with the odor I had today. I did not have that on the day of drilling and it was sitting for quite a while but I realize that is something that may not show up for a while.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. You should have a flow inducer screen on your pump. It will route water by the motor, keeping it cool.
2. When you sanitize, you should be able to drop chlorine and acid pellets. I don't know what you use for acid pellets. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my write-up for bottom feeding wells. I am not sure what to do for one that gets fed above and below. I think you should be able to find a way to drop the pH and to do a big flooding volume. This will probably help the H2S for a while. I would like to think a long while, but I don't know.

Regarding cloudy, if you put the cloudy water into a glass or glass jar, what happens with time? Hour, day?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Just keep doing what your doing. Sometimes it takes days or weeks to develop a well. Do whatever it takes to make the water cloudy and pump it out, then repeat until it clears up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks