New water system design and help!

Users who are viewing this thread

kelmes

Reaction score
Hi there, I am a new member so please go easy on me!
I see from many of your posts you seem to very knowledgeable with all things valves ,pumps, tanks and water systems in general.
I live in Ontario, Canada and are in the process of building a new house.
The lot is waterfront with a county road in between the House and Georgian Bay-Lake Huron.
The lake is gin clear 95% of the time but can be stirred up by a storm making the water a little cloudy very rarely.
I am trying to design a water system that will work to provide good uninterrupted water with steady flow unlike some pump systems I have had in the past.
I have a pump shed across the road at the waterfront with 60 amp panel in the shed. The cable and the
1-1/4" green stripe poly go from the shed drilled under the road and 180 feet to the house.
Unfortunately the contractor never pulled any control circuit wire in the same conduit.
I plan to use a deep well submersible 100ft out in the lake on a horizontal pump stand that holds the pump 18" off the rocky lake bottom. The shed is not heated so I am concerned about freeze protection to some of the components. The waterline is protected with an internal heatline cable under the road for 100 feet towards the house where the line is 5-6 feet deep, so that should not be an issue.
As the shed is not heated I had originally thought to locate the pressure tank in the house's utility room where the waterline enters the home. The problem with that scenario is that the pressure switch is in the house's utility room there is no pump control available and no control wiring to the pump.
All of the filtering and UV protection is in the Utility room.
The question is: Could I install a sidekick CSV system and tank in the Pump Shed and just heat it in the winter with a heat lamp or similar. Would I need another pressure tank in the House as well? What about pump selection?

Sorry for the long winded and multiple questions. Ps I am a Millwright and Electrician by trade so have some knowledge of these things but not much experience with water pumping systems.

Ken

kelmes

Reaction score
Putting a submersible into a body of water meets code in Canada?
Is done all the time as long as it is protected by a GFCI breaker. Many are shore wells with concrete casings in the water with the pump inside.
No reference to that in the Canadian Electrical code only reference to GFCI protection for pools and hot tubs.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
No problem putting a submersible in the lake. Just make sure to use a cooling shroud or flow inducer sleeve. And yes you can pump a PK1A Psidekick in the shed where the power is. That will have everything you need and can easily push water 180' horizontally to the house. I prefer a milk house heater or a portable (oil filled) space heater to a heat lamp, as they are less likely to catch the place on fire.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks