New Water Softener installed but holding water in the tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Corzy75

Reaction score
Hello,
This is my first post ever in a forum of this kind.
So yesterday my father and I installed a brand new water softener to replace a 10-15 year old previous one.
It is a Morton® 34,000 Grain Water Softener
Model Number: M340012

Got it all installed per the instructions and after running a recharge cycle it did not drain the water from the tank. I've looked all over the internet and from what I have read it says there should be no more than a couple of inches of water in the tank. Mine was almost completely full. Well, I say completely, but it was up the 5 or 6 mark on the indicator.

This was the problem I was having with the old one as well. I did all the trouble shooting I could find online and finally I just gave up because the bypass shut off would not quit leaking no matter what I did.

So now I'm back to square one and can't figure out why the tank is holding water. There are no kinks in the drain lines. I'm just confused because it is brand new, literally.

Any suggestions, or should I just call a plumber?

Thanks

All Fug Duck

Reaction score
Not an expert, but if both of them are doing the same thing it may not be the softener. where does the backwash drain to and is that clear?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
What is this tank you speak of? If it is the brine tank, on most softeners, they are programmed to refill after the regen so it is normal for there to be brine in the tank waiting for the next regen. As to how full the tank gets depends on the size of the tank and the grains of hardness that dictate how much salt to use to regen.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would call the maker for troubleshooting help in this cabinet water softener.

Reaction score
I agree with LLigetfa. What I was reading on my new one is that the brine tank will be refilled with enough water to perform the next scheduled regeneration. This water sits there dissolving the salt and the amount will be determined by your programmed settings for water hardness, size of the grain tank and time between regens. They also say to keep enough salt in the brine tank to be just above the water level.

Take my answer with a grain of salt though (pun intended) as I am also very new to this.

TonyH

Reaction score
Not an expert, but if both of them are doing the same thing it may not be the softener. where does the backwash drain to and is that clear?
Drain issue or brain draw issue. Noticed when it was regenerating brine level went down? You can hear
/feel when brine is being drawn. Same you can feel the drain tubing when drainig. Also is water for brine tank,
programmed to prefill or post fill? Youtube sure wiil have something about this. Anyway was the water soft
after regeneration?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks