New Water Service Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Scott

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have some acreage which I'm building a shop/apartment on. It will have 3 sinks, tub, toilet, washing machine and 40 gallon hot water heater. I'm going to have a 300 ft run from the meter to the shop with 2 yard hydrants teed off the main service line. My question is what size poly pipe or pex should I use to supply these fixtures.

Another factor is that we are going to build a house with 2 bathrooms down the road and I'd like to accommodate that future use now if possible. The shop plumbing would not be used nearly as often once the house is built. I was thinking 1 inch poly. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
ipc_water_size_50.jpg

An IPC chart for PEX which is smaller than copper.
There is a lot of friction loss over distance. Once you have the ditch open, it makes good sense to put in a large enough pipe to actually service it properly.

Reach4

Reaction score
poly pipe used for wells usually meets ASTM D2239 where IPS ID is held and OD varies with PSI ratings. That lets the matching barbs work with different pressure ratings. http://www.charterplastics.com/assets/pw-idr-pipe/12-PWCAT4710BKIDRUPLOAD.pdf has dimensions.
D2239 is a size standard.

1 inch D2239 (ID=1.049) has 1.437 times as much cross section inside as 1 inch PEX (ID=0.875).

Last edited:

Jeff Scott

Reaction score
poly pipe used for wells usually meets ASTM D2239 where IPS ID is held and OD varies with PSI ratings. That lets the matching barbs work with different pressure ratings. http://www.charterplastics.com/assets/pw-idr-pipe/12-PWCAT4710BKIDRUPLOAD.pdf has dimensions.
D2239 is a size standard.

1 inch D2239 (ID=1.049) has 1.437 times as much cross section inside as 1 inch PEX (ID=0.875).

Thanks for all for your help everyone. I'm going to visit the local plumbers supply store and do some research there too. I would agree that I need a larger pipe for the distance and the buildings they will serve.

Thanks!

Jeff

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I did a 350 foot poly line on one of my homes when I was young. I was surprised to find how little water came out of the end. I had been installing 1" poly on plenty of new homes and it was a world of difference.
My parents had an old 3/4" line installed in 1952. They have .72 of an acre. When I installed irrigation for their lot, the heads didn't have enough water for them to function. I then changed the line to 1.5" PVC and the irrigation then worked. Their line was about 300 feet.
Even though their meter was 5/8", changing the line to 1.5" make a huge difference.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks