New water lines to a shower..Codes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Snets

Reaction score
I'm building a new shower in a location where there was a tub. The location has 1/2" copper fron the former. I need, or want 3/4" supply to that location for the shower system I have chosen (shower head, hand shower and 4 body sprays)

The location is upstairs, partially over he garage. The wall where the water supply need to be conveniently backs up to a open space where the HVAC outlet and return run from the upstairs attic to the furnace. The furnace is next to the water heater, which conveniently has 3/4" copper plumbing.

Is there any reason why I cannot connect a cold 3/4" and a hot 3/4" to the inlet and outlet for the water heater, run them along the wall inside the garage and up through the garage ceiling next to the HVAC ducts and into the space where I need the supply? All garage walls are finished.

I live in CA. Any code issues with exposed copper lines in a garage? What about PEX? That would seem a whole lot easier for me to run. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Unless I had the proper equipment to work with PEX then I would steer clear of it. It's like learning to drive a car; it's always best to learn on the standard than an automatic.

Snets

Reaction score
That sounds like good advice.....although my first car had a 454 and a 4-speed:D....Yea, I bought a lot of tires.:eek:

So sounds like I'll be doing copper, not a problem skill- and tool-wise....but is it advisable and/or legal?

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Sounds like a good question for your inspector. Formulate a plan get it on paper and present it to him/her. See if you get the permit or not.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I don't see any problems at all except that where the piping penetrates the garage wall it will need to be fire caulked.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks