New water line questions

Users who are viewing this thread

steadypressure

Reaction score
I have a bunch of simple questions that I don't have clear cut answers to, so I am sorry if these have been asked a thousand times. I am wondering about current opinions I suppose.

Basically, starting with the water line coming in. I read that black poly line is what people are using now. My only real reservations are that I dont want to backfill with sand if possible, and also that it is running under where heavy vehicles drive on gravel and also a gravel driveway.

I dont really have a huge problem with the sand, I just don't want the pipe to get crushed.

Are prople still using galvanized pipe to run into houses? Is it still a viable option?

Also while we are on the subject...

Are there any problems running power lines in the same trench? I know people run pump lines near the water line. I am wondering how far away I should keep the power line(s). One reason I ask is because I want to run a wire large enough to run the house on a generator and the well head is a tempting spot for a hookup.

thanks btw

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Poly is the best material to use. Galvanized corrodes, then leaks then breaks. Pvc is too brittle.

Under the driveway is easy, just put a piece of 4" sch 40 pvc in the trench then slide your water line and conduit for the wire through it. Put a 4" abs, 2 hole (1 for water line, 1 for conduit) well seal on either end and you'll be able to pull the pipes out if you had to in the future. We do this ALL the time with no issues.

We run power to the pump in the same trench, but I've never done service from the street in the same trench and wouldn't reccommend it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might want to consider copper. Yes, copper is expensive, but you only have a limited distance to run and copper will last virtually forever without corroding. I would avoid rocks in the trench, but sand is not necessary. Connections underground do have to be brazed, not soldered, so likely you would need professional installation, but remember this is a one time expense. No one uses galvanized for water lines anymore.

steadypressure

Reaction score
Under the driveway is easy, just put a piece of 4" sch 40 pvc in the trench then slide your water line and conduit for the wire through it. Put a 4" abs, 2 hole (1 for water line, 1 for conduit) well seal on either end and you'll be able to pull the pipes out if you had to in the future. We do this ALL the time with no issues.

Sounds good, thanks

steadypressure

Reaction score
You might want to consider copper. Yes, copper is expensive, but you only have a limited distance to run and copper will last virtually forever without corroding. I would avoid rocks in the trench, but sand is not necessary. Connections underground do have to be brazed, not soldered, so likely you would need professional installation, but remember this is a one time expense. No one uses galvanized for water lines anymore.

Thanks for the option I may consider that.

steadypressure

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. According to the calculator another .25 is less than half the friction if I am reading it correctly.

The whole run may be 800' at some point. 100' to the house and 700' from the house for irrigation. Maybe I will consider 1.5 at least to the house to be safe.

I can't wait until I get my well hooked up to my new water line all nice and clean.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks