New water heater - Vent pipe seems not to be plumb ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Powerless

Reaction score
Hello,

I had new water heater installed, Power vent/Gas

But today I noticed that the vent pipe does not seem to be plumb ?

Please reference the copper pipe and you can see that no way pipe is straight

Should I call back installer ?
I think I know what the problem is, old tank was shimmed since concrete floor slopes towards drain, this one has no shims

722BF282-19BB-44BC-83AF-E401DE1F7851.jpeg

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are probably within the deflection limit with that connection. They might come fix it. If not, don't hire them again.

Powerless

Reaction score
Thank you!

Well I have texted guy, and he said that this pipe can’t be straight due to the 90 elbow, that makes no sense lol, unless it’s due to the slope, as there is slope towards heater

I just studied the manual that was glued to the side, there is nothing about tank required to be level, I have about 1/2” slope on concrete so not major and not really visible so I will not worry about shimming.

And another issue I have noticed the air intake for the blower, seems to have some smell, like faint burning plastic or maybe like grease smell…. This new Fasco AquaVent is strange design enclosed motor, sounds like bad idea.

I might call someone else to fix that exhaust and maybe call Rheem about smell

Smell source circled (I’m assuming that this is intake channel for blower cooling )

I had temp on tank set to almost Max maybe that was culprit and just new tank smell lol

AECF21BC-36E7-4C17-AB37-E87AAF03F0D3.jpeg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Seems like little sloppy workmanship .

When faced with an uneven floor we install a concrete pad and make our own form so regardless how the floor is pitched the poured concrete we level off . These house keeping slabs are install on all boiler installation as leveling is a good thing

See the PAD in the below picture

Attachments

• Boiler.jpg
    Boiler.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 78

Powerless

Reaction score
Thank you

So the pipe being uneven not plumb is actually due to slope ( which is code here ) it slopes toward unit.

As for being unlevel I agree, they wanted to shim it, but it would had to be drained I have PEX pipe so no strain on copper …

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They measured wrong. Slope on the horizontal still would have allowed vertical to be fine.
That being said, the rubber connection is still fine, and if you quit looking at it, it will be fine. Does it look awkward? Yes.

Powerless

Reaction score
Top tank needs to be level or at least close like. other said to keep strain off the copper. Was there a block under the old heater? Poor workmanship.
No block but it was shimmed
My pipes are PEX ( copper I believe is there only as code does not allow PEX directly to water heater )

I been studying manual and it says that outdoor termination should be 45 and I have long 90 ( this is original piping ) I wonder if I should make them fix

I will not use them again

Thank you

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
tank not being plumb not related to vent not being plumb you can set tank plumb or not and you can install vent plumb or not or one can slope one way the other can slope opposite. Its all about the quality and time to install , combined with cosmetics cut an 1 1/4 of the horizontal throw a coupling on or cut a little off the horizontal toss the piece in garbage and use a new 90 and piece of pipe. or live with it .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks