New Water Heater - Scale, High pH / Alkalinity

Users who are viewing this thread

DumbOnPlumbing

Reaction score
We moved into new construction 9/1. We have plastic tube PEX plumbing.

Recently had the control on our Bradford White replaced and at that time our new plumber took a look at the rods in the tank with a camera. He was amazed they had a lot of scale (looks like calcium) on them already. I have also noticed a little white flaky scale on the shower control handles. He flushed the system and said he would come back in a few months and replace the rods.

We know the hot water heater is new from the manufacturer date.

I also know that our water test from a pool company showed a high pH of 7.8 and the ideal is 7.4-7.6. Our total hardness is 4. I ran other at home water tests and there is nothing out of range for nitrates, copper, iron, etc.

We do use a Fleck 5600SXT water softener which was installed shortly after the hot water heater.

Do you think the scale is from high alkalinity? Anything I can do about the scale build up? Maybe flushing the tank and replacing the rods in a few months is the best I can do.

Reach4

Reaction score
An anode changes as it does its job of protecting the water heater. I don't know what the expected appearance would be after 5 months, but I could see the white deposit-looking material, that will totally displace the metallic magnesium or aluminum in several years, appearing on the surface in 5 months.

Some people believe in replacing WH anodes, and others do not. If somebody is to replace the anode later, I suspect it could be a good idea to loosen the threads a bit earlier in life. It takes an impact wrench to remove later, but I don't know for sure that it is that much easier early. I have a powered anode, which does not get consumed.

7.8 pH is certainly in the ideal range for household use. Maybe not for a pool, but then the pH of a pool is going to be changed by chlorine, or other disinfectant, anyway.

There is a factor called the Corrosivity ( Langelier or Ryznar ) index that would be good for measuring whether a water tends toward being corrosive or tending to leave deposits.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the water softener is sized correctly, it should remove the hardness/scale. Was the test you did on the treated water or raw water?

DumbOnPlumbing

Reaction score
Thanks Smooky.

The softened water was 7.8 with total hardness at 4.
The unsoftened was 7.6 with total hardness at 395.

Reach4

Reaction score
That is often part of a lab water test including kit 90 from http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/

I expect your anode is in good condition. While a lab water test on well water is good idea, don't take the anode appearance as an indicator that you need a water test.

I also presume you are saying your softened water has 4 ppm hardness rather than 4 grains. That is good.

Last edited:

DumbOnPlumbing

Reaction score
Fairly certain it's ppm because there was some equation you have to do to figure it out. Plus the report for the softened waters says the total hardness is low.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks