New water hammer at toilet....

Users who are viewing this thread

OnlyinCali

Reaction score
House is from 1954, most of the copper has been redone. The toilet in the main bathroom just started hammering REAL BAD after every flush. This bathroom is only 8 months old and I installed new supply branches off the main line when re-doing this bathroom recently. Everything is copper.

I had to turn the valve to 1/2 off to get the hammering to stop.

Do I have a new pinhole leak that's letting water in? Any reasoning to why the toilet hammering would just be starting now, despite nothing having changed in the past 8 months?

Reach4

Reaction score
Check your water pressure with a gauge.

Note that water hammer means a single bang when the valve turns off.

A new fill valve may solve this for you.

OnlyinCali

Reaction score
Check your water pressure with a gauge.

Note that water hammer means a single bang when the valve turns off.

A new fill valve may solve this for you.

Thanks for the reply. Water pressure is 42-46 psi measured at hose bib nearest main line. I think I was describing the sound incorrectly then. It sounds like a machine gun or "constant and repetative" hammering. Toilet is only 8 months old and is the $99 lowes model. Should I just replace the toilet fill valve?
Thanks again

Reach4

Reaction score
Toilet is only 8 months old and is the $99 lowes model. Should I just replace the toilet fill valve?
I think so. Maybe Lowes will provide one for you under warranty.

I am not a plumber.

OnlyinCali

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll replace the shutoff angle valve first and see how that goes. Just out of curiosity, what washer are you referring to? If it matters, its 1/2 compression at wall side.

OnlyinCali

Reaction score
its a 1/4 turn brasscraft shutoff, roughly 8 months old. Sounds like I should forget about replacing it? What do you think of replacing the fill valve on the toilet Terry?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The shutoff you have should be fine. The next step is the fill valve. Some will come apart for servicing. I sometimes take off the top, hold my hand over it to deflect the water back into the tank and then reassemble.
Please don't make me write, Turn off the water first before taking it apart.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks