New Washing Machine Installation

Discussion in 'Canadian Plumbing Code Questions' started by Robert Westbury, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Robert Westbury

Robert Westbury New Member

Hi all, I'm located in Kitchener, ON. I just got a quote for a new washing machine drain upstairs. He said 2" drain needs to be installed to meet code (which I know is correct). Then we got to talking about venting. In order to avoid a lot more labor, I asked if he could do a vent through the wall to the outside, since the washing machine is on an outside wall, therefore the washing machine would have it's own dedicated 1.5" vent. He said the code requires it would have to be a 3" vent going out the roof. Is that correct? Seems kind of absurd that a new vent has to be that big. I mean, the vent is bigger than the drain. Seems like overkill.

#1 Does it need to be a 3" vent in this situation?
    #2 Does it have to go out the roof or can it go out the side of the house in this situation?

Thanks all!
    Robert

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

The easy way is to use an AAV.

See Section 2.5.9 of the National Plumbing Code of Canada

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Robert Westbury

Thanks but I would rather not go with a cheater vent. I am looking for answers to #1 and #2 in my original post.

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

See https://terrylove.com/forums/index....basement-bathroom-drainage.82746/#post-596804 for a recent discussion.

So looks like #1 is yes. #2 is the latter. And it looks like the penetration will need to be angled up at 45 degrees, rather than horizontal. I am not a plumber.

An AAV may become more acceptable to you if you give it some time.

cjlambert likes this.
  6. Robert Westbury

Thank you. This answers my questions. Since my house is less than 4 stories, looks like I have to vent out the roof.

7. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing- - fire suppression
    I would never use an AAV as depending on a cheap piece of rubber to keep carcinogenic fumes out of a building just does not seem like the the right thing to do

For well over 51 years I did plumbing and never had to resort to wet venting or a blind vent or AAV

Granted sometimes it is awkward to follow codes but most are there t protect the public

Sometimes manufacturers / home builders can find the best politicians money can buy and in these cases safety takes a back seat to a "donation"

In NYC for example when doing brand new houses we do have to use a 11/2" vent for a kitchen sink for example BUT before the vent goes through the roof it must be increased to 4" to prevent hoarfrost

Unless we can run the vent in the ceiling to connect to a stack vent or vent stack

NYC had an amazing code then a pro law mayor left and the rest is history

One perfect example is PVC is a proven carcinogenic in a fire so NYC FD went on record they will not enter under ground subways if the transit authority used PVC for drainage

Until the "best money can buy " were elected the old code stated "plastic piping shall be used in 3 stories or less residencial" THEN the powers that be increased the use of plastic to 5 stories or less placing poor people at risk

The reason the WTC had inadequate fire protection is "it cost to much" according to my instructors who some of him worked on the twin towers.

NYC code made building the towers too expensive and NJ code was a joke so the port of authority or NY / NJ claimed sovereign immunity and wrote their own code to be cost effective much like the approvals of AAV's

8. cjlambert

cjlambert Red-Seal Licensed Plumber

Magician
  9. cjlambert

cjlambert Red-Seal Licensed Plumber

Magician
    It doesn’t need to go Through the roof, just needs to terminate Above it.