New washer p-trap siphoning at start of wash cycle

Users who are viewing this thread

Pat L

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently needed to move one of my basement stacks by a few inches during a remodel. I took the opportunity to bring the washer drain up to code, and replace the 1-1/2" ABS with 2"ABS. Not wanting to break open the entire wall in my main floor laundry, I used a reducing coupling to connect to the 1-1/2" vent. Now, the p-trap is siphoning at the beginning of a cycle (I can smell sewer gas). At the start of the drain cycle after the wash, the trap re-fills and the smell disappears. It's fine until the next time the washer is used. I didn't change anything else about the run to the stack (angles, slopes, etc.).

The standpipe is 30", runs into a p-trap, into the wall, 2 x 22.5 separated by 2 fingers, 4" into a sanitary tee, into the floor, 45 to a horizontal wye w/cleanout, then 7' @ 1/4" slope into another 45, then into the stack via a wye.

I'm thinking about disconnecting the 1-1/2" vent and installing an AAV rated for a washing machine a few inches above the weir.

Before I cut another hole in the wall, any thoughts on what might be causing this, and other potential solutions?

Thanks!

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The "2 x 22.5" bends, what are they doing (what orientation are they in)?

The top of the san-tee entry (really the top inside of the crook of the san-tee) has to be above the bottom of the trap outlet (the trap weir). If not, you can get siphoning, which is what your description sounds like.

Cheers, Wayne

Pat L

Reaction score
Thanks, Wayne.

The 2 x 22.5 are horizontal, and in line with the sanitary tee entry.

Can't post a picture without reopening the wall, but I've attached a sketch. Sorry - it's been 35 years since that drafting class. . .

Pat

IMG_20220323_115816.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The 2 x 22.5 are horizontal, and in line with the sanitary tee entry.
In that case the basic design is not the issue. Maybe a crack in the pipe somewhere, or something else is causing siphoning. As the trap is external to the wall (if I understand correctly), I wonder if there's a way to check the trap seal before the cycle, just after the start of the cycle when you get the smell, and after the cycle.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks