New Vanity Install Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Vince B

Reaction score
vince_b-1.jpg

Hello all, I am installing a new vanity and have to drill new holes in the rear of the vanity. Should I keep the old Brasscraft soldered shut off valves and just drill larger holes or should I cut them out and install new Brasscraft compression fitting 1/4 turn valves? Attached is a picture to show how much 1/2" copper I have left to work with. Thank you for all for your great information! Uncle V.

Attachments

• 20180923_104421.jpg
    20180923_104421.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 168
Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I would leave them, and use split escutcheons. That will cover the holes.

Vince B

Reaction score
I have one final question that might help me determine which way to go. If I decide to put on the compression fitting shut-off valves what would happen if say 10 years from now they would possibly leak. Could I just take it off and replace it with a new valve or would I have to remove more 1/2 " copper since it was compressed by the fitting.

Vince B

Reaction score
The problem is that if I leave the existing valves I have very little wiggle room for error in drilling the larger holes and then covering them properly.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The problem is that if I leave the existing valves I have very little wiggle room for error in drilling the larger holes and then covering them properly.

In my home, I replace them when I can. This is the perfect time to upgrade with new shutoffs. I give you permission. Carry on! :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You would just reuse the nuts and ferrules after you unscrew the angle stop. Worst case, you would use a puller to remove them and install the new ones.

Vince B

Reaction score
I got a piece of scrap wood and used it as a template to drill holes for the existing valves. If I'm just a 16th of an inch off for the half-inch copper and the cover plate won't cover properly. Obviously it's because of the large one and a half inch hole for half-inch copper. Once I get this all straightened out, do you think it would be a good idea to use this wood as a template and then hold it up against the back of the vanity to drill the holes that way they would be 100% correct?

Attachments

• 20180923_162157.jpg
    20180923_162157.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 169

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It's not like you are going to have to stare at it every day for the rest of your life. Get'er done.

I see some guys cut one big hole in the back of the vanity. There is a finished wall back there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks