New valves leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

David bedient

Reaction score
I have installed (sweated) 10 new copper male screw fittings than installed new shut offs 5 leak. I am using Teflon tape 4 turns.. Should I be using paste could the end threads be bad...

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Try using both pipe dope and PTFE tape. Rectorseal No. 5 is good for metal threads.

A better PTFE tape might help too. The cheap stuff is low density. The higher density stuff will sink in water, once the water bubbles are off. You can use yellow "gas" tape on water no problem.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes three wraps of tape and then pipe thread sealant (dope) over the tape works well.
Tape should work, but should doesn't always get the job done. Normally I just use thread sealant and it's fine. On shower valves, that's all I use. On larger fittings like 1" I may use both.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks