New tub not level,

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by plumber69, Apr 17, 2019.

1. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

Swapped out an old tub, new one isn't perfectly level, its about 2mm off over the 5' and 3mm over the 30 inches. Is there a point where you say good enough. Has that cheap glue on surround

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    What I learned over the years, was, new construction is pretty level. When I broke in, I never checked the floors with a level, but would measure my tub supports the same everytime.

When I started to do remodel, I was surprised to learn that wood floor sag over time and go out of level. I set a nice 66" Kohler cast iron tub for my parents and when I went back to see the tile work, I was saddened to see that with the tile in place, it was obvious that the floor was leaning away from the outer wall. From then on, I would check first with a level and see which direction the floor was leaning, use a backer board to support the back ledge and make sure it was level and shimmed. I only wanted to make that mistake once. Too bad the constant reminder from the 70's is still there to greet me when I visit my mom's place.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement