New TOTO Legato leaking from base

Users who are viewing this thread

Tex13

Reaction score
I just finished a remodel of guestbath. Slab foundation, 1 story house, new floortile. I had a master plumber install a TOTO Legato, w 14 inch adapter. I rarely use this bathroom, but happened to notice toilet flushed w a funny sound, so watched & flushed again. Water pooled out the base of the toilet. So I called the plumber....
He replaced the wax ring, flushed 10 times & said it was fixed. Minutes After he left, I used the toilet and water again ran out at the based. I called the plumber, and he claims it's a faulty toilet, (bad castings).
Is this plausable? What do u think?
Thanks in advance for responses!

Reach4

Reaction score
Plausible. It could be a defective Unifit adaptor also.

If you find the problem, post pictures, please.

I am not a plumber.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Could also be a faulty installation. Master Plumbers often don't like to read instructions, and installing a Legato requires reading the instructions.

Unless and until he shows you where in the casting it is faulty, I think his response is most likely tuckus-covering.

Let's review the evidence. He installs it. It leaks. He comes back, does stuff, proclaims it fixed, and leaves. Then OVER THE PHONE, he diagnoses it as a faulty casting. If he could see that it was a faulty casting while at the house, he should have (and would have) said so. Get somebody competent to come fix it and send him the bill.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So he flushed it ten times?
You flushed it once and it leaked?
I hope they used the Unifit. I've seen installs where the plumber left them out. That didn't turn out well.
Sometimes it takes more than one wax ring, depending on how deep the closet flange is.

flange_03.jpg

Last edited:

Tex13

Reaction score
Yes he used the unifit, I special ordered the 14 inch. It's a warranty issue w the plumber or I would hire another plumber. I will stay in the room & take photos of his work next time.
Thanks for your responses!

I hope they used the Unifit. I've seen installs where the plumber left them out. That didn't turn out well.
Sometimes it takes more than one wax ring, depending on how deep the closet flange is.

flange_03.jpg

flange_03.jpg

Plumbstar

In the Trades
Reaction score
The closet ring MUST be at the correct height. Even if you use extra wax rings, it can leak. Toto includes a notice with the instructions stating this. The shape of the unfit directs the waste flow at a slight angle as it enters the closet ring. If the ring is too low, it will eventually leak past the wax seal

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The closet ring MUST be at the correct height. Even if you use extra wax rings, it can leak. Toto includes a notice with the instructions stating this. The shape of the unfit directs the waste flow at a slight angle as it enters the closet ring. If the ring is too low, it will eventually leak past the wax seal

Unless it doesn't.
I've installed hundreds of Unifit adapters using two wax rings.
Stack a regular wax ring down first, and then a wax ring with horn. Literally hundreds of installs.
I guess me and my customers are just that good. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks