New Toto Drake owner concerns/question from owners/Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

JCturboT

Reaction score
The time had come for my Wife and I to add a 1/2 bath to the cellar for her Home Daycare.

When it came decision time for the toilet it was a no-brainer-Toto Drake, based on all the glowing reviews from the Forum,Terry, as well as across the net.

I recently purchased another top rated toilet for the upstairs bath (Gerber Ultraflush) so I wanted to try a Toto to compare.

The plumber picked it up and installed it yesterday and when I got Home to check it out the first thing I noticed was how low the water lever was in the bowl.I flushed it and noticed where the water level was once the toilet stopped filling (which was even with the recess in the bowl) but after a short time the water level began to recede to a very small water spot.

I marked the water level with shapie marker and it drops about a 1" to an 1 1/2" in less than a minute.

The plumber came back up and said something was definitely not right and returned the bowl to the plumbing supply store for another.

This bowl still drops some but takes a much longer time.

My question to you Drake owners/Terry is this...is this normal for the Drake?
Is this just the nature of the beast?

I noticed that when the contractor put in the tile floor that the floor was not perfectly level but the plumber said he noticed the same thing and shimmed the toilet level (which is was, as I checked it with a level myself).

Can you owners check your Drakes for me and please let me know.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:

SamC

Reaction score
You are right to be suspicious of the level. The symptoms you describe are exactly what happens when the bowl is higher in the front than the back. The bowl fills to the proper level, but then slowly drains down as the water trickles over the peak in the trapway. Check carefully the front-to-back leveling on the bowl and check the floor on both sides of the bowl.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I agree with Sam, if the back is lower, it tends to drain out the back over the top bend of the trapway.
You may want to shim the back of the bowl, pinning the front to the floor and see if the leveling does it.

If it were one bowl losing water, then I would think possible crack.
But two?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks