New Toto Drake II flush valve seal mangled and leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

dbump

Reaction score
I installed a new Toto Drake II with the tower-style flush valve a month ago. I recently noticed water dripping from the tank; after reading the advice here, I took it off and filled the tank, and it's clearly dripping directly from the nut that secures the flush valve. When I pulled that apart, the gasket has two concentric fins that have been clamped in opposite directions, which I'm guessing is the cause of the leak, as the china surface where it would seat is fairly smooth and flat, though I will sand that. I'm not finding replacement seals--do I just need a whole new tower to get that one piece?

0523211335a.jpg

The other side was similar, but not as bad, and I was able to gently work my thumbnail between the two "fins" to get them to stop sticking together in a warped way, so one side will probably seal pretty well, but I doubt the pictured side will.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would check with the people you bought it from. They sometimes have parts on hand or that they can rob. The seal looks a bit odd to me. Not quite right.
If you can't find the part, sometimes Silicone will do it, though I definitely prefer going the new seal route.

dbump

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! I got it through a big box, sadly (was the only place that could get it to me in under 2 weeks at the time). I'll try contacting Toto, and in the meanwhile I'll sand/re-assemble it and see how it goes. It just looks like the tower shifted during factory install and part of the rubber got crimped the wrong way and has now taken a set.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep, that number codes up at my Wholesale vendors. I bet Toto would send it to you for no charge.

dbump

Reaction score
I wasn't going to post an update until I received the parts, but I did contact Toto, and they are sending the entire flush valve at no charge, which includes the gasket.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks