New Toto backing up?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

locopollonar

Reaction score
Here's the situation: I had installed two ADA Toto Drakes in Feb. in my rent home. This toilets are installed on the second floor. I've had two families rent two different weeks and they reported no problem. The family that is renting now claims the toilets are backing up.

Rotorooter man went out and said if there were "real" backing up issues we'd see it elsewhere (this girl knew that:-]). I was disappointed that he said the "problem" was the toilet. His suggestion-hold down the lever longer.

My first inclination is that this family(two daughters under 12) used way too much tp for my sensitive toilets. Anyone think of any thing else it could be?

Love, love, love this board!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The ADA Drake is used in churches, restaurants and homes with kids.

Your renters need to put less down, or learn to use a plunger.
With a MaP rating of 900 grams, which is overkill by at least 400 grams, they really don't have excuses.

The typical new construction toilet is rated at 150 to 300 grams.

locopollonar

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I did enough research (with the help of your website) before purchasing my Totos, I just knew it wasn't the toilets' or the house's problem;)

I will be suppling different toilet paper and creating signs--nothing in the toilets but waste and tp.

locopollonar

Reaction score
Update

Here is what my guest emailed me:

the master toilet backed up on Sunday morning. it first would
explode up when the secondary toilet was flushed. It scared me the
first time it happened to me. the secondary toilet then backed up into
the master toilet...
he did clean out the blockage but the fountain was still happening in
the master toilet when the secondary toilet was flushed.

Can you make anything of this? I asked her for clarification on the "fountain". I think she means the toilet that's being flushed is a "fountain". Easy fix, right?

She went on to tell me the toilets never work right the rest of the week. I suspect she does not have low flow toilets at her permanent residence;)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sounds more like something in the main line that isn't allowing the stack to drain.
One toilet shouldn't affect the next door toilet.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
If that unit sat empty for a period of time between renters.....the toilet paper from the last tenants probably hardened inside the piping leading from the toilets and now the new tenants are finding out about that obstruction.

Toilets probably are not part of this equation since more than one is affected, like stated.

locopollonar

Reaction score
No sitting empty. The house has been rented almost every week since the toilets were installed.

UPDATE: Here's her reply to the "fountain" reference: When you are sitting on the master toilet and someone flushes the other toilet. You get sprayed.

I'm at a loss. These toilets are essentially back to back. Could there be something in the vent on the roof?

Any suggestions are more than greatly appreciated:D

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It could be lack of vent.
Or the use a sanitary cross instead of a double wye fixture cross.
Most bathrooms are back to back, and if plumbed right, it shouldn't be an issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks