New Toto 1.28's--Feedback?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cali

Reaction score
It's official--my locality is in drought and mandatory water rationing is in force as of yesterday. Time to replace the old faithful water-guzzling toilet in the master bath. I have a few questions:
(1) Anyone have experience with the Toto EcoDrake, EcoUltramax, EcoSupreme or EcoNexus? All of these models are eligible for utility company rebate. Now, according to the Toto website, these all use E-Max technology--no mention anywhere of G-Max. (Say whaaat?) What's more confusing to this novice, the specs appear virtually identical: the only differences seem to be aesthetic. Any enlightenment, please?
(2) The toilet in the half-bath is a five year-old Kohler with 1.6. gpf. I've added a liter bottle full of water and weighted with pebbles to the tank, hoping to reduce the water usage a wee bit further. Thus far the bowl cleaning is just as good with this little addition. Any potential problems with this? Every bit of water savings help as the local limits are fairly Draconian.
(3) Would you go with a Toto Aquia for the new toilet, so that there's .9 gpf capability somewhere in the house, or go straight to one of the 1.28'ers, which apparently function a little better overall?

Thanks, guys. I seem to be in analysis paralysis over this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cali

Reaction score
Uh, that would be half liter bottle. In/Sufficient?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There have been numerous reports that the Eco Drake performs as well as the 1.6 gallon model. This would be an excellent choice for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cali

Reaction score
The Seat!

Thanks, Gary. I'm definitely persuaded as to engineering superiority.

But the elongated hard shiny plastic seat that comes with the EcoDrake? Yikes! Not exactly anything you might want to perch on for too long. I'm about to research what other toilet seats might be compatible with the Drake. Even my greyhound-like hubby finds the Japanese seat a poor fit.

Anyone have any non-Toto seat suggestions?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You can put any seat you want on the toilet as long as it matches the round or, elongated bowl. Toto toilets will use any off the shelf seat.

Cali

Reaction score
Well, yeah, one would think, but not what my local salesman led me to believe. I definitely prefer your version. Thanks!

SamC

Reaction score
We bought a Church toilet seat for our Drake. This model has the same features as the Toto: easily removable for cleaning and slow close. But the Church is flatter, less funnel-shaped. It suits our contours better and fits the toilet just fine.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I didn't buy the Toto Soft Close seat to use as a lounge chair, so it works well for me. I suppose we all have our own individual preferences on such things, but how different can toilet seats be? They have to fit the contour of the the bowl, have a hole in the center, and both the seat and the lid have to raise and lower so that somewhat limits the creative design possibilities. I guess there might be color or material differences; I have seen some that were padded, some that were wood, some that were pink or blue pastel, but most all of those in my opinion were pretty tacky. But, buy the seat that you think you'll like. You're the one that will have to use and live with it so it should be what you feel is nice. Besides, you can always get a different one if you grow tired of it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't remember if the fancy bolts come with the seat or the toilet, but on some of the skirted toilets, it will be a pain putting in normal nuts and washers to tighten the thing on. I've not had complaints about the Toto seats, but that's one reason many manufacturers have their own idea what is best.

Cali

Reaction score
Just test drove a Kohler "French Curve" seat--no, I'm not making this up, but some delirious copywriter did--and found it far more hospitable than the Toto. Definitely seems more ergonomic. Thanks, all.

ibonnie

Reaction score
I have had the EcoDrake for 3 weeks now. I suspect I live in the same area as you, Cali. So far it's working great. Definitely a different sound (like it's not really gonna do the job), but it works everytime.

BTW - check with your local water utility (mine is EBMUD). The EcoDrake qualifies for a nice rebate.

I got the round seat because the room where the toilet is is tiny - the elongated wouldn't fit. The round works fine for me.

Bonnie

ibonnie

Reaction score
I got it in Walnut Creek at a store called General Plumbing Supply. (Right off 680, if you know the Walnut Creek area)

Out the door with Soft Close seat and tax, it was $304.00.

I saw it online for a little bit less, but it was on back order for several weeks. Not enough difference in price to wait.

Bonnie

Cali

Reaction score
Ashby Lumber in Berkeley has the Ecodrake EL ADA (w/o seat) for $317. The $150 EBMUD rebate really sweetens the deal.

nnotsoo

Reaction score
drake eco

Drake Eco vs Drake= same bowl, different tank 1.28 vs 1.6, same flush GMax. Emax = 1.28 gal. Aquia 1.28 dual flush .9-1.6. the women approve of the Aquia, no pedestal to clean, different mounting. A real "throne"! And the water surface areas ARE different, be prepared!! Spend the extra and get the Eco in a Sani-gloss, better at self cleaning, and the ADA model will give you a powerful flush. EMWD water district $500 rebate to pre 1994 homes

Greg S
Dixieline Lumber
Murrieta ,CA

ibonnie

Reaction score
I didn't think any of the Eco models came with Sani-gloss??? :confused:

Bonnie

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Toto EcoDrake CST744EG comes with CEFIONTECT
We sell quite of few of that combination.

WaterSense Toilets for the Seattle Area

church_585_seat_3.jpg

The Church 585 builder grade toilet seat on a Toto Drake.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks