New toilet problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Steelers1

Reaction score
Sorry if this is long but I'm desperate for help. I've had my house for about 11 years now. It's a slab house with a crawl space where all the plumbing is and was built in the 50's. I only have one bathroom and have never had a problem with the toilet clogging or anything until a few months ago. About 4 weeks ago I got a clog in the toilet that no plunging or auguring would clear. Roto Rooter came out and we discovered that there was standing water in my outside sewer clean out. Weird thing is I didn't have any problems with my other drains in the house. I live far off the street so we soon discovered my sewer line was 230ft long and the clog was at the very end of the line. They used a jetter to clear it and it all drained out and the toilet then worked again. Then about 5 days later the toilet clogged again but a plunger cleared it right up. This happened several times over the next few days. I double checked the sewer line was still clear and my bathroom sink drain goes directly into the drain pipe right under the toilet and it was fine too. The consensus from several plumbers was the toilet was just worn out so I bought a new American standard titan 1.6 that's advertised to flush a bucket of golf balls. I'm in the process of remodeling the bathroom anyway so I pulled the old toilet and went 5 days without one while we put new flooring down and replaced the cast iron toilet flange with a new plastic one, then installed the new toilet. All seemed good for a couple days and then it clogged with very little going down. Plunged it and it worked again. Since then it clogs almost every time you flush anything more than a few pieces of toilet paper. Pretty much the same as the old toilet. I noticed it didn't seem to have enough water in the bowl so I called American standard and they had me remove a small water restrictor from the fill valve and now it fills all the way. I thought this fixed it but then a few days later it clogged again and again. I checked my vents with a camera and snake and they are clean. All my drains have always made gulping sounds after you run water but I've heard that can be the s traps on them. I've pulled the outside sewer access again and it's clear and I had someone flush a piece of toilet paper down and could actually see it shoot by outside the house. To totally eliminate the drains I actually poured five 5gallon buckets of water down the toilet one right after another and I couldn't pour it fast enough. It went right down. I've had several plumbers out and they can't find anything wrong. American standard is now saying the toilet must be defective but what's the odds that it would be doing the exact same thing as my old one? I don't know what to do? Should I exchange the toilet for another one just like it or try a totally different model? Any ideas will help me. Thank you for listening.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes a trapway will take a bucket of water just fine. Wad some toilet paper up in a ball and see if that passes in a normal flush. Make sure you lift the tank lid off and set it on the floor first, so that you can stop the flush by hand if needed.

Steelers1

Reaction score
Sometimes a trapway will take a bucket of water just fine. Wad some toilet paper up in a ball and see if that passes in a normal flush. Make sure you lift the tank lid off and set it on the floor first, so that you can stop the flush by hand if needed.
The thing is it took 25 gallons of water in about 20 seconds though

Steelers1

Reaction score
Tried it and it went down fine and didn't clog. Everytime it has clogged everything exited the bowl just fine but on the next flush it backed up. No problems with the ball of toilet paper though.

Steelers1

Reaction score
So if I return this toilet is the consensus here to get a Toto? If so which model would you recommend? The problem is no one in my area knows anything about Toto, I would have to order on Amazon or special order from Home Depot. I'm also concerned with the Toto fitting. I have about 10 3/4 rough in. The American Standard fit snug against the wall but fit. Thanks.

Steelers1

Reaction score
What are your targets? Price sensitivity, appearance, one piece, or two?

You did that test, seriously? How?
At this point I just want something that works, been dealing with this for a month now and yes, I had 5, 5 gallon buckets all filled up with water and poured them one right after the other. They couldn't have went down any quicker.

Steelers1

Reaction score
https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst744eg-specs.pdf Terry mentioned CST744S. Toto 2-piece toilets don't come with seats.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/America...ated-Toilet-in-White-3378-128ST-020/202964035 Not Toto, but should flush well, and may be in stock at your local HD. Includes seat even.
Thanks, I'm not sure if I trust American Standard after this toilet. I'm not even positive the toilet is the problem but I don't know what else it could be? It's just strange that the new one does the same as my old one. Hopefully I won't have any problems returning this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steelers1

Reaction score
The CST744S will set at 10-7/8" from the wall. And you can fudge that about 3/8" if you want.
Do you recommend the Drake then over the Drake 2? Also how do you fudge it another 3/8"? I'm wondering if I would be better off with the 10" rough in. I'm so scared to order a toilet online just to find it doing the same as the others but unless I'm missing something I don't know what else it could be?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The original Drake roughs at 10-7/8" and the Drake II at 11.5"
The CST744EF010 will rough at 9.25"

To fudge is some is just to move the bolts out a bit. The horn of the bowl is 2-5/8" which drops into a 3" pipe.

Steelers1

Reaction score
Found a local plumbing supply that sells Toto. They want $279 for the original Drake with 10 inch rough in. My parents neighbor is a plumber and he said he would recommend the Gerber Vipor over the Toto and parts are easier to get. The same plumbing supply wants $179 for the Gerber. Any thoughts on these prices or opinions on the Gerber Vipor? Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks