New Toilet Handle Sticks

Users who are viewing this thread

benclink

Reaction score
Replaced a 10 yr old handle with the same exact Keeney / Plumbpak Universal handle. The new handle sticks down for 8 sec and then goes back up. The toilet fills and shuts off as normal. It has always taken about 30 sec for toilet to fill, flapper goes down and slack in chain so no problem there. The old handle went back into position right away but always seemed loose. My wife says it used to do the same exact thing when I replaced it 10 yrs ago. Am I over analying this? Suggestions? Thinking it will go back to position quicket once it gets a lot of use. Toilet is American Standard.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might have over-tightened the nut and the bushing is binding on the shaft of the handle that goes through the tank. As long as it returns before the flapper wants to drop, it shouldn't be a big issue.

benclink

Reaction score
You might have over-tightened the nut and the bushing is binding on the shaft of the handle that goes through the tank. As long as it returns before the flapper wants to drop, it shouldn't be a big issue.

Thank you for the reply. Sounds funny but when I loosened the nut it would drop but the nut moved as well. I found the Fluidmaster version and it has more of an offset and drops right away. Not sure if this is true but a gentlemen at the hardware store told me the drop has to do with water pressure.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
So much for listening to advice from the typical store clerk!

FWIW, on a gravity flush toilet, the incoming water pressure has nothing to do with how the thing flushes. Exactly where the flapper valve ends up closing is based on its design and the level of the water in the tank.

benclink

Reaction score
So much for listening to advice from the typical store clerk!

FWIW, on a gravity flush toilet, the incoming water pressure has nothing to do with how the thing flushes. Exactly where the flapper valve ends up closing is based on its design and the level of the water in the tank.

Yeah that's what I thought. Just as a follow up to my Fluidmaster handle...it hits the top of the inside lid and I have adjusted handle and chain. Get a good full flush on the flapper does not inhibit that at all. I can see on the top of the inside lid where the old handle made a mark (That blue/green/hard water on brass.) Funny how you notice these things after the fact and it has always been that way. This American Standard toilet is in a spot with a marble counter ove rthe tank portion. One of those vantiy/sink combos that run the wall. I think they remodeled around the original toilet to the house late 1950's... had it replaced in 06' and the contractor had to find a really low sitting one piece toilet that would fit., might be the Lexington model would have to look under the lid.

Reach4

Reaction score
You can bend the rod to work better. Hold the rod while bending to not put the stress on the tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you referring to the rod hitting the lid? Do you mean bending it down, just not sure.
down, left, right, whatever it takes. I was mainly thinking down to avoid hitting the lid, but sometimes you want to position the pull so it is more straight upward.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks