new toilet and washlet

Users who are viewing this thread

sperry

Reaction score
I am researching a new toilet for my (6'2") dad, a recent illness has left him less than agile. Have narrowed the search down to American standard's Tropic and Boulevard(elongated), Toto's Carlyle II and Eco Soiree (is the plain old soiree available and better?), Danze's Ziga Zaga, or the Mirabelle Bradenton. The criteria have been the highest rim, easy to clean(all skirted) hopefully large pool of water(reviews seem to indicate it keeps the bowl cleaner), glazed trapway, and hopefully flush handle easy to reach(high and in front).
Now to the questions. I am leaning towards the Tropic it is the tallest, handle in front, few corners so easy to clean, with good reviews is there any reason to choose a different toilet?

I also need a washlet for the toilet do any of the toto washlets color match the american standard? and which of the washlets is tallest? Which is the easiest to learn to use? Should I abandon the Tropic for another toilet just because of the washlet issue? Main priority ease of use for him and ease of cleaning for everyone else.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
We have a Carlyle II and it is awesome. Great flush with no drama. Flawless performance for over a year now. The Toto Washlets will of course integrate well with it.

American Standard's quality control is improving, but it had nowhere to go but up. Miscastings and malformed toilets being sent through and sold were very common not too long ago. Our family appreciates the high-quality construction and superior design of our three Totos. All toilets are not designed the same or manufactured the same. Nor are their interior components made or designed the same. Bottom line is you can't go wrong with the Toto.

The Eco-Soiree performs basically the same as does the 1.6gpf older version of the Soiree. Terry's report considers it to be Toto's best gravity toilet (surpassed only by their Neorests with the integrated washlets, which are a whole different price point). Your Dad should love either the Carlyle II or the Soiree.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't see the issue with the side mount handles. When the seat is up, you can still see the handle.
When the seat is leaning, I kind of prefer that it's not leaning on a handle. :)

Though I do like the look of the Soiree. It looks perfect for a Craftsman.

sperry

Reaction score
The side mount flush handle seems as though it would be a longer reach and I am just trying to make things as easy as possible for a man who one day was throwing bales of hay, to a man, a few days later who was/ is barely ambulatory with a walker, and the less leaning over he has to do the better. I like the idea of auto flush but a bit out of the budget.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
My Dad doesn't find the location of the handle to be any big deal.

However, here's another opportunity to get the toilet you want without worrying about the flush handle:

KOHLER K-1954-0 Touchless Toilet Flush Kit, which works on Toto.

ProductDetailTemplate

Available from many local and online suppliers for in the range of $50. It will go in easily on your Soiree.
It will probably hold the flapper open longer than it should, and thus waste a little water, but if you want touchless for this reasonable a price, just add this to the Soiree (or your chosen Toto) and you'll be in business.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks