New Toilet Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Marc46

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
I am preparing to replace one of my old toilets in my 16 year old home.
I already replaced the one in the master bath a couple of years ago when I tiled in their. Used a Kohler elongated,...........don't remember the model, but it is one of those you are supposed to be able to flush golfballs and everything.

It's ok, but is fairly noisy, and the bowl rinse is not what I would call "great".
It has never plugged though!

I would like to find a slightly better quality one this time.
This bathroom actually gets the majority of use.

What do you guys recommend?

Sorry for all of the questions lately, but I am finishing up basically "remodeling" my entire home.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Toto Soiree or Guinevere.

The bowl rinse is better, and easier to keep clean.

soiree_angle.jpg

TOTO Soiree, Universal Height bowl, double cyclone rinse,
Easy to clean on the sides of the bowl.

soiree_cyclone.jpg

Double Cyclone Rinse, the best out there.

ms974_02.jpg

TOTO Guinevere in a tiled bathroom.

Last edited:

Marc46

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
Terry,
Forgot to mention that the Kohler I put in is 17.5" from the tile to the "seat", not the rim.

The one I am wanting to replace is an old Briggs that is 15",.......same conditions.

I prefer the height of the Kohler, as I am 6'1", and have been known to read in the can!:D

I have heard the name Toto,........but know little about them.
Where do you get them?
I guess I need to find their site, and see if they have a distributor in my area?
Thanks

John_R

Architect
Reaction score
Website
www.SpeakeasyMedia.org
We replaced our old toilet with an American Standard Cadet 3 from Lowe's Depot. (I forget which of the two :D). A little under $200, and it's handicapped height just for the heck of it. I was afraid it would be one of the low-flow toilets you have to flush twice to get "stuff" down, but it's great. Powerful enough, quiet, and fast. No problem with the bowl washing out. When we converted our kitchen to a second bathroom, we bought a second toilet just like the first.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Am. Std. lost me a long time ago on their quality control issues. I have been installing Toto for over 5 years now as my toilet of choice and I have had to this day "0" defective and "0" callbacks on them,

Toto is not sold in big box stores!

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
mANSFIELD Also makes a model similar to toto it' a little cheaper in price. It's called the summit.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It would have to be a lot cheaper to be worth anything...

Plain and simple you get what you pay for.

And Toto is big league compared to Mansfield which is a farm club.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
We'll just agree to disagree...
I can't tell you how many of these miserable dogs I've given the high arcing toss into the dumpster at the shop, and installed Toto Toilets.

Mansfield Alto
137-181.jpg

The difference in quality is like night and day...
I consider Mansfield to be one of the brands that builders install in houses just to say, "Yep, It's got a toilet in it. Much like when they proudly point to a Insinkerator Badger disposer under the kitchen sink and say, "Yep, It's got a disposer too."

One thing for sure... The quality of a Mansfield isn't even in the same league as Toto.

Master Plumber 101, In looking at your postings I sometimes wonder how much time and experience you have out in the field... Or, if you are just a counter guy at this supply house...http://www.printingincorporated.com/markplumb.html

I guess like many supply houses they are not a Toto distributor but they do have a toilet that is... "As good as a Toto."

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
RW, if you would read the post I did not say the Mansfield Alto,I said The Mansfield Summit. It has a 3" flush valve opening and has similar features as Toto. Besides the Toto water closet may have a geat flush but does not have a very appealing look to it. If you think I'm a counter guy your mistaken. Because we have a difference in opinion does not give you the right to insult me. If I have a opinion about Mansfield check your facts on the summit 3 before you critize me. I recently installed a Mansfield quantum air assist water closet and was pleased with the performance. As far as Marks Plumbing Supply there located in Texas and I'm in Wisconsin.

Last edited:

GramGram

Reaction score
Researching toilets

After doing so much research regarding my replacement toilet for my 52 year-old house, I am paying a lot of attention to toilets in public restrooms. (Most won't have a Toto but I found one that did but I didn't know the style.) The majority are American Standard and I just have to hold back on telling the owner/proprietor to install a new toilet and save on plumbing bills. Today, my local coffee store's restroom was "out of order"... It was American Standard and supposedly low flush...:eek:

I know it is for another BB but I hope my new InSinkErator Evolution Pro Essential passes muster....:D However, I'm putting less down the drain since Waste Management is doing composting with green waste.

Marc46

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
Either one that are pictured above would be fine with me.
Is this "San-a-Glos" finish better, or not, as I see at least one is available both ways?

Guess I am out of luck though, as I do not have any dealers in my area,........would have to find one on the net, and I expect shipping would be really bad!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Marc, Did you use the dealer locator link I posted above?
I believe the default setting on it is 15 miles. Open the radius some and I'm sure some dealers will appear.

I'm lucky...
I have 2 platinum, 1 gold, & 1 silver galleries within 15 miles of me.
And another, 4 platinum and 4 gold galleries within 25 miles...

Life is good for a plumber with that many Toto Dealers around!
If I had to I would rather drive 100 miles to get a Toto than install low grade product!

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
I choose not to put Toto in,and for your info I'm not a advocate for Kohler either, other than them being union!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Easy now... Easy...
No sense in getting your blood pressure all jacked up...

Whats going to happen when Brett Farve takes the NY Jets to the Super Bowl?

Marc46

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
Marc, Did you use the dealer locator link I posted above?
I believe the default setting on it is 15 miles. Open the radius some and I'm sure some dealers will appear.

I'm lucky...
I have 2 platinum, 1 gold, & 1 silver galleries within 15 miles of me.
And another, 4 platinum and 4 gold galleries within 25 miles...

Life is good for a plumber with that many Toto Dealers around!
If I had to I would rather drive 100 miles to get a Toto than install low grade product!

Closest to me is about 55 miles away,...........but the drive would take 1.5 hours each way!
Orlando, and a Gold dealer.

What is the "next best" suggestion?
Not interested in Mansfield as I just finished fixing 2 of them at my mothers place,........some of you are aware of that.
No big deal, but I don't think a toilet should need repair in a few years.

The one I am replacing is a Briggs, which I believe has the reputation of a "huge pile of garbage", but I have never had any problems with it, other than a few years back I replaced the fill valve with a Korky,.......no problems since.

That brings up ANOTHER question,........what do you think of the Korky valves versus the typical Fluidmaster?
I never run out of questions!:D

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I prefer the Korky style fill valve, less water hammer and less noise.

The CEFIONTECT stays cleaner.

The Toto web site only lists showrooms.
I'm not listed either and I sell a few thousand a year.
They may be closer than you think.
I used to buy Toto in Florida too.

Brett Farve played pretty good last year. He was always scary good when we played him. I remember Warren Moon in his 40's, he was good too.

Master Plumber 101,
You can't blame the rest of us for wanting to work with the best.
It makes our job easier.
A quality product sells itself, and keeps selling years later.
I get calls all the time, old customers, friends of customers, they know what they want, and I have it.
I got tired of "taking care" of some of the other brands.
They didn't take care of us when things went bad.

Did you see the Seahawks beating the Bears with their third string quarterback, and their fourth string running back last Saturday?
This could be a good year.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Marc have you read Terry's consumer report on low flow toilets?
I'd recommend reading that then popping back with specifics...
Personally a ride to Orlando might not be a bad thing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks