New (to me) toilet drain? Need help wth this one!

Users who are viewing this thread

xssive

Reaction score
Home is located in Texas and built in 2009. Went to replace the toilet in the spare bathroom because the previous owner decided to paint it with latex paint, and there was 3/4" of silicone around the base hinting at something incorrect.

I am greeted with this after removing the inside sealing closet flange. It appears to be a 4" id extremely thin and pliable lead liner of some sort that necks down to 3" before attaching to a pvc elbow.

Is this common in foundation drains? Im only used to working with straight pvc and have never seen this.

The heart of the issue is that the drain flange as it sits is only 8.75" from the wall and I need to put in an offset flange to get a 10" toilet on there.

I plan to demo the concrete enough to get an offset flange in, but what do I do about the lead ( aluminum, zinc?). Ill have to cut it back to be able to slide the new offset flange in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
If you're going to demo the existing tilework and dig down anyways, I think you'll discover more about that lead flange along the way.

You may want to do the least amount of work and try to use an offset flange, but it may be possible you'll excavate all the way to the elbow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks