New to grinder pumps.

Users who are viewing this thread

KSN

Reaction score
Good day folks,

Just purchased a house that has a grinder pump. House was empty for 280 days. Was winterized last winter.

Got the water running and just recently got hot water via a new tankless heater. Noticed that grinder pump has been making a slushing sound every 3 seconds continuously for the past 3 days.

Someone said it might be a bad check valve. However after googling grinder pump check valves, it seems I don't have one. Or at least don't have one that looks like a black rubber connection between 2 pvc pipes and has metal clamps on both ends.

Can anyone advise on what may be the issue?

Should I shut it off? Open it up and inspect it?

Does the pic of my grinder pump look okay?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

• 20160709_163258.jpg
    20160709_163258.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 293

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there is no check valve or it is leaking, water in the pipe can drain back into the tank. If enough drains back it activates the float switch. So that could be a problem. Another reason could be the float switch is tangled up so that a small amount of water could activate the float. You could have a water leak in the house, that is causing water to flow into the tank and is activating the float. ........ It looks like you have a non automatic pump plugged into a float switch with piggy back plug.

http://www.zoellerpumps.com/en-ap/faqs

pump system.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks