New softner set up

Users who are viewing this thread

Rotaris

If its not broke, fix it until it is!
Reaction score
Question on salt setting, I just installed a watts generic softner, a4000 resin Clack valve 1 inch.
My hardness is 20 grains (yes I have a iron filter) and little manganese. I Do not want to complicate things (I have never owned a softner in 30 years on this well water) . just want to try it.
I am not sure about what should I set the salt setting to. It is a 48000 capacity softner, set to 38000. Should I set salt to 12lbs, factory programming is 9lbs. So in short leave it at 9lbs or change it 12lbs.
Two of us in house and about 250 gallons a day usage (yes she uses a lot of water lol)
Please keep it simple, I am new and do not want to split atoms here.

Edit the 45-48000 capacity oops

Last edited:

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Question on salt setting, I just installed a watts generic softner, a4000 resin Clack valve 1 inch.
My hardness is 20 grains (yes I have a iron filter) and little manganese. I Do not want to complicate things (I have never owned a softner in 30 years on this well water) . just want to try it.
I am not sure about what should I set the salt setting to. It is a 45000 capacity softner, set to 38000. Should I set salt to 12lbs, factory programming is 9lbs. So in short leave it at 9lbs or change it 12lbs.
Two of us in house and about 250 gallons a day usage (yes she uses a lot of water lol)
Please keep it simple, I am new and do not want to split atoms here.
it's likely a 48000 grain unit, not 45000

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
a4000 resin
Not certain what this means but you later said 45,000. 45K would not be usual, but I anticipate the media tank size will be 10" X 54" in which case, it will likely contain 1.5 ft3 resin with a total capacity of 48,000 grains.

Describe your iron filter. Many iron reduction media will also reduce manganese so depending on the effectiveness of that filter, the softener may not be having to deal with either iron or manganese.

If it does contain 1.5 ft3, then the recommended usable Capacity setting will be 36,000 grains which will be regenerated with 12 lbs salt. 9 lbs salt will regenerate only 30,000 grains capacity in 1.5 ft3 resin.

Rotaris

Reaction score
Sorry people typing to fast, and exhausted, 20 hr work day! So I typed wrong 1.5 cubic ft,10x54 tank. 48000 softener. Katalox/ air before it. Removes iron well, just not manganese. Media probably shot (5 years old) and not sufficient backwash until now I suspect. Thats a whole other project for later. Manganese last test after katalox .12mg/l, Iron about .12mg/l after Katalox. Iron in raw water about 1.5mg/l
raw water, manganese is about the same .14. Actual hardness raw water 14 grains. So i picked 20 for hardness
Can not thank you guys enough!!!!
Actual water usage is going to change as I only tracked one day so far, ,load of clothes, couple showers. Dishes.....this is in 24hrs, So just a get me started settings

Last edited:

Rotaris

Reaction score
it's likely a 48000 grain unit, not 45000
add 3 grains per gallon (gpg) for every part iron or manganese. at around 1 ppm added for manganese (provided your iron filter isn't removing mang. prior to softener) will give you 23 gpg/day * 250 gallons per day (gpd) = 5750 grains per day (gpd) = 40250 Grains per week (gpw). so (at 12 lbs salt) 36000 grains of 48000 will be regenerated (which is the most efficient regen setting)/40250 gpw = 0.89 weeks/regen or 1500 gallons. upping your salt setting will give you longer ( more gallons) between regens providing the unit is metered (measures water usage). If not, you'll want it to regen every 6 days. Bannerman might be able to offer some advice, he's pretty good with that. **edited after some input from bannerman
Thanks water pro! it is metered, and I posted test done for iron/mag/hardness

Rotaris

Reaction score
Not certain what this means but you later said 45,000. 45K would not be usual, but I anticipate the media tank size will be 10" X 54" in which case, it will likely contain 1.5 ft3 resin with a total capacity of 48,000 grains.

Describe your iron filter. Many iron reduction media will also reduce manganese so depending on the effectiveness of that filter, the softener may not be having to deal with either iron or manganese.

If it does contain 1.5 ft3, then the recommended usable Capacity setting will be 36,000 grains which will be regenerated with 12 lbs salt. 9 lbs salt will regenerate only 30,000 grains capacity in 1.5 ft3 resin.

"Alamo 4000 resin" stated on packing slip?) from watts
Thinking today I have softner hardness set at 20 might be to high.
What are your thoughts with my actual test data?

Bannerman

Reaction score
I have softner hardness set at 20 might be to high.
Manganese will often cause more fouling to softener resin than iron. The 20 gpg hardness setting will result in the softener regenerating a little sooner than when a lower hardness setting is utilized. Suggest retaining the 20 gpg hardness setting for now until all water conditions are known and considered.

Suggest posting your entire current lab report. Often, the levels of other compounds and water conditions that most people may consider irrelevant will often affect treatment methods to be utilized. Conditions such as water pH may be affecting the KL media's ability to reduce manganese.

Last edited:

Rotaris

Reaction score
Great, and thank you! Bannerman. I am waiting for recent lab results, it will be a few weeks. I will report back for follow up! PH always about 7.6-7.8 last 30 years.

Rotaris

Reaction score
Hello folks, lab results in today. Trying to post, says "File to large" 2 pages not sure why this is a issue. I am computer illiterate, might have to call the wife in on this one. Would like to avoid that Kahos.....:)
Suggestions??????

Rotaris

Reaction score
Hope this works, only took me 1 hr to figure it out. No help from the Boss. I am pretty proud of myself. Always learning lol.
Let me know what you people think of the results?

Attachments

• TL page 1water.jpeg
    TL page 1water.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 126
  • TLpage2water.jpeg
    TLpage2water.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Hardness: 234 ppm / 17.1 = 13.68 gpg
Iron: 1.7 ppm X 5 = 8.5 gpg
Manganese: 0.087 X 5 = 0.435 gpg

Total: 22.615 gpg X 1.2 hardness compensation = 27 gpg Hardness setting

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks