New Softener Install

Users who are viewing this thread

RVBraq

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Love this forum, have received a lot of good advice on some plumbing issues in a home I recently bought. Been heavily researching a water softener install and after discussing with some local plumbers, I can't seem to get a straight answer on sizing/whats necessary - Hard to tell if they're trying to upsell me or if theres some legitimate concerns. I've decided I'm going to install this myself. Here's the setup I'm looking at:

1)Fleck 5600 SXT from AFWFilters - 40k Grain
2)We're a house of 3 people (with another baby on the way). Water usage is very much average. I've had hardness measurements ranging from 7 GPM to 12 GPM, depending on the test I'm using. We have 3.5 baths but only 2 are regularly used. On municipal water and were sitting at about 60 PSI after the house regulator.
3)Curveball here is that the entire house is piped in 1/2 inch after the meter -Hasn't been an issue to this point but im sure as the kids get older, it'll be a great time.

Major concerns here are flow rate and oversizing. I believe the unit I'm looking at has a peak service rate of about 12 GPM, which I assume is all 1/2 inch pipe can handle anyway. For the size, I've landed on different results..Formulas around this website put me at about 24k grain, one supplier recommended 32k and another supplier recommended I go up to 48k.

I'm thinking the 40k simply to avoid any issue with flowrates down the line - I was told there can be settings on the fleck that can maintain good efficiency despite being oversized for the needs? Would love any thoughts on this setup ad any recommendation you guys might have.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Larger units are fine. In general we like to see the units regenerate no more than every 5-7 days, and no less than monthly. Modern units will have a Day override feature so they will regenerate monthly regardless of water usage.

Reach4

Reaction score
40k Grain
To avoid ambiguity, specify the cubic ft of resin or the tank dimensions.

When a salesman says "48000 grain" it does not mean that it should be set up for softening 48000 grains of softening. Seriously. It is kind of a convention, but should not be used for any kind of planning.

RVBraq

Reaction score
@Reach4 - its 1.25 cu/ft of 8% resin

Also, is anyone able to clarify the difference between continuous flow rate vs peak flow rate ?

Reach4

Reaction score
Calculating for 12 grains and 4 people, you want a 1.5 cubic ft softener with 10% crosslinked resin. The space and price factors are not that different.

Bannerman

Reaction score
difference between continuous flow rate vs peak flow rate ?
Hardness removal is not an immediate process but requires the water to have adequate contact time with the softening resin so that calcium and magnesium ions (primary mineral elements causing hardness) can be exchanged for sodium ions.

The continuous flow rate refers to the maximum flow rate a specific quantity of softening resin will effectively remove hardness. A greater quantity of resin will support a higher continuous flow rate compared to less resin. As it is not a physical restriction, it is often possible to exceed the specified continuous flow rate for that resin quantity, but then some amount of hardness is likely to leak through the softener. As the flow rate continues to be exceeded, the amount of hardness leakage will also further increase.

Peak flow rate is the maximum flow rate in which the softener unit will physically permit water to pass through. Peak flow is usually considerably higher than continuous as the same softener control valve, riser, bottom distributor, bypass and other physical components are often utilized on a wide range of softener capacities.

While exceeding the specified continuous flow rate can be OK on occasion, that should not be a regular or planned occurrence. When deciding on the softener capacity, the home's anticipated flow requirements need to be considered in addition to 'regenerated' capacity of the resin.

Regenerated capacity is the capacity you will utilize on a regular basis. This is not the total softening capacity which is as you refer with 40K or 48K grains. With a 1.5 ft3 softener (48K total), for the best balance of salt efficiency, water quality and consistent operation, you will likely use a maximum 36K grains between each regeneration cycle which will require only 12 lbs salt to regenerate (3K grains per lb efficiency). If all 48K capacity is to be used, then 30 lbs salt would be required every cycle.

Last edited:

Jdpboom

Reaction score
Hopefully you have made an informed decision, and are comfortable. If not, contact a Kinetico dealer in your area. Due to the design/features that are incorporated into EVERY unit, you will be relieved at how easy it is.
Besides the fact it is hands down the BEST softener available on the market.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks