New sink woe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Sinkwoes

Reaction score
Recently my dad and I attempted to install a new sink, in hopes of making my office more comfortable. When I bought the house, there was a sink already installed in this “little office” which was built into the garage (not sure of the date). This sink is directly behind a sink installed on the same wall/same pipes outside on the porch. We completed the install, however this is a deep sink, 9inches deep and the last one was similar to a old style bathroom bowl sink like maybe 5-6 inches deep. We had a horrible time just trying to find the correct plumbing fixtures cause the sink came with this weird gray “universal drain” that didn’t fit the current wall configuration since the pipe coming out of the wall was a male thread at 1.5’ in pvc. (Dads words not mine… ) The universal drain connection was only 3/4 inch. However my dad just changed the entire bottom and put the original p-trap (I think that is what it’s called) back on with a new pipe (pvc) coming from the drain part. It’s all sealed, however the sink will not drain quickly if it is filled up. There are no issues on the outer sink. So my dad is stumped as to why it’s not draining quickly. It only seems to happen if there is a lot of water in the sink, then it just sits and drains super slow. Bucket was just to catch leaks if there were any, but all clear there so far.

Attachments

• 6755DAF7-2B68-4799-A9E6-8CD6F76D6021.jpeg
    6755DAF7-2B68-4799-A9E6-8CD6F76D6021.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 88

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Being in California it looks like a typical galvanized iron pipe that notoriously blocks up with rust and crud. Something may have dislodged when the old trap was removed? Try snaking it first.

May not be vented properly? Since you're not sure what is behind the wall and it was added after the home was built, add an AAV. Not expensive and it might help but it can not hurt anything if it still drains slow.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can you take a picture of the sink from above, looking down into the drain? What does the strainer look like?

TonyaGilmore

Reaction score
You said that the drain opening on the particular sink you bought has an inadequate size. You have another sink with a smaller drain opening, so the water sits there. Since the pipes are the same, tap off the current sink and install a more significant drain to allow the water to drain. I recently bought a portable sink for my house, which is practical and comfortable to use.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks