Moen 3371, Moen 3600, New shower valves and existing lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Snets

Reaction score
I am remodeling a bath and the old shower has hot & cold 1/2" copper tubing supply lines.

I purchased a vertical spa system and need to rough-in a Moen 3371 Thermostatic Valve and three Moen 3600 Volume Control Valves. All of the valves have 3/4" IPS connections.

Also, it looks like the volume valves have no means to secure them to blocking so I assume you would secure the piping to the valves with clamps to some blocking.

TIA

moen-3371-valve.jpg

moen-3600-volume.jpg

moen-3371-parts-1.jpg

moen-3371-parts-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Snets

Reaction score
Thanks, Redwood. That's what I assumed but wanted to hear. The 1/2" to 3/4" IPS I think will not be an issue because I think I can get new 3/4" copper into the location. I'm going to start a new post about that, it's a different topic.

Not knowing that much about fittings available, do the fittings I need thread into the valves and then sweat onto the copper? I guess I'm confused because I'm not familiar with the "IPS" thread......It's just a straight pipe thread, right?

Thanks again.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Believe me... In a year or so you will appreciate my advice. :D

Yep, there's only 54 million threads about cartridges stuck solid that won't come out,

tool broke, how do I get those black rubbers out?

There's one time I pulled so damn hard I almost hit the back wall of the tub.

If that valve isn't braced good, you can create more work pulling on those cartridges.

Snets

Reaction score
I would return the Moen crap and trade it in for something decent.
Believe me... In a year or so you will appreciate my advice. :D

Over twelve years later I want to thank you for this great advice. Everything still working perfectly. I'm sure you are still offering great advice on a forum where people might think that can get plumbing help. I do appreciate those who responded professionally.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Over twelve years later I want to thank you for this great advice. Everything still working perfectly. I'm sure you are still offering great advice on a forum where people might think that can get plumbing help. I do appreciate those who responded professionally.

Wow talk about a follow up update ! Glad it worked out so far but jury still out eh? This site is good been here less than year sometimes every question doesn't get a good response. A lot of opinions on brands of valves just like Ford , or Chevy. And some truths about the cartridge's getting stuck in 30 year old neglected valves that dripped for a decade and handle barely turns but I've brought many back to good as new. plus your valves weren't even the same type . you know I once had a Ford truck with 300 ,000 miles on it that overheated don't ever buy one of those ha ha

Snets

Reaction score
Yea I was painting that bathroom this week and it reminded me of the first replies to the first post I ever made here looking for some help. So I thought I would provide an update. Shower still works great!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I updated some pictures here so that if you ever do need parts, you can find what you might need.
I install a lot of Moen valves. Maybe it's because in the Seattle area it's what I mainly see.

Snets

Reaction score
I updated some pictures here so that if you ever do need parts, you can find what you might need.
I install a lot of Moen valves. Maybe it's because in the Seattle area it's what I mainly see.
Thank you! Haven't needed any yet but tis is great.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yea I was painting that bathroom this week and it reminded me of the first replies to the first post I ever made here looking for some help. So I thought I would provide an update. Shower still works great!

Not surprised as some members may be Moen is good stuff I think but like I said yours isn't anything like the notorious push pull valve which I still kinda like I've installed hundreds

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks