New shower - relocating shower drain thru joists

Users who are viewing this thread

Dprocket

Reaction score
I'm in the process of remodeling my bathroom--tearing our old shower and replacing with bathtub/shower combo.

Here is a picture from under the old shower unit that I'm replacing. You can see the shower drain, with the vent (goes straight up to the ceiling) and how the drain joins to the main drain through the joist.
2019-08-21%2020.06.38.jpg

p.jpeg

With my new shower system, I'm going to need to locate the drain approximately in the same place, but two joists over: In the picture it would move "up" to spaces. I roughly sketched what I am thinking about.

p.png

This new drain would require me to go through 3 joists (instead of the existing, 1) to link up with the main drain.
new%20plumbing.png

Also, I would join the vent with the existing vent so that it would join behind the shower wall. Can a vent pipe have an angle? Is there a reason this would not work?

New%20Vent.jpg

p.jpeg

I'm cutting the existing polybutylene pipes and replacing them with PEX around the drain area using shark bites..

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks