New Shower Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

ShadowAviator

Reaction score
Finally got my Onyx shower base picked up the other day, so I am starting to get ready to start on the shower install.

I have the typical 12" square hole in the concrete for rough-in. I will get the trap and related PVC pipe all connected, but once that is done, I will need to fill the hole in somewhat. Onyx wants the hole to be no more than 6 inches in diameter.

What's the best way to fill in the hole?

From what I have read here and other sources, I was thinking of filling with sand for most of the hole, then using deck mud for the rest of the way. I would place a pipe or something over the drain pipe, so that the final hole size would be about 6". This would give me a little play in the drain pipe to make attaching it to the bases easier (I'm using a brass Oatey no-caulk drain designed for preformed bases).

Is my thinking correct? Is deck mud the correct thing to be using? If so, how thick should the deck mud layer be?

Bonus question: I have been thinking about installing grab bars. What are your opinions on grab bars in the shower? Like maybe just one at a diagonal. I get funny looks when I ask this as a healthy 25 year old, but to me it just seems smart.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think your idea for filling the hole is fine. I would use pea gravel rather than sand as its less likely to settle away. But that small of an area isn't too much to worry about under a shower.

We often install at least the backing in the wall for future installation. Usually its placed vertically near the entrance so that it creates stabilityy for someone entering and exiting the shower or tub.

Reach4

Reaction score
Bonus question: I have been thinking about installing grab bars. What are your opinions on grab bars in the shower? Like maybe just one at a diagonal. I get funny looks when I ask this as a healthy 25 year old, but to me it just seems smart.
You can screw and glue pieces of 4x4 to the studs, and record where those are. Photos and dimensions can help record. Then later, you could drill and use #12 etc lag bolts. The exception is that if using porcelain tiles, those are very hard to drill. A horizontal bar could double as a towel bar. Besides grab bars, there are "hold bars". Those can steady you if you are not already falling.

Paulypfunk

In the Trades
Reaction score
They make a lot of swanky looking grab bars these days that don’t look like grab bars. I agree with at least putting in solid wood blocking between the studs. It gives you options for the future.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On a retrofit, if your can’t screw into solid blocking, look at Wing-It’s fasteners. They are rated for over 300# each just through the wall of a tiled area. I’ve used them a few times for retrofitting bars for my mother. Porcelain isn’t a problem with the right bit (generally, diamond), and for a one or two time use, you don’t need a pro quality one, but it may be toast when you are done. Your holes need to be far enough away from a stud or other obstruction to ensure the wings can spring out and get proper diameter and contact, and that can’t happen if your hole ends up near a stud. I’ve used both the GBW40 and RESGBW45. The later one is less expensive, but you need two holes per fastener through the wall rather than one, larger one. www.wingits.com

wingits_fasteners-marketingimage-2017.jpg

FWIW, most safety bars are not the proper length to screw into studs, at least when used horizontally. You might get one end in, but you really need both ends well anchored to be safe. Used vertically, you can usually get two screws into a stud, but most have 3 or four holes. You don’t have to user a Wing-its bar on their fasteners, as many bars will line up, and if not, you could drill a hole to line up in the mounting flange.

ShadowAviator

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Well I think I will for sure put backing in and snap a picture. I think I will plan on putting in grab bars.

I had a group of calves back into the panel I was using to push them towards the trailer, yesterday. I wasn't quick enough and the panel flexed back and hit the corner of my sunglasses which cut my eyebrow. At least it didn't hit my eye (Yay, safety glasses). Small cut, but lots blood (common for face injuries).

Anyway, this got me thinking about how if you get hurt (not uncommon for ranchers), you might need a little help getting in and out of the shower, despite the benefit of youth.

Speaking of showers, which way is the p-trap supposed to go? Its not a perfect U shape. Does the sharper curve go toward the trap arm or shower drain? Does it even matter?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks