K-2974, New shower plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Albany13or

Reporter
Reaction score
Hello all

first time poster but an avid reader. my wife and I are remodeling our master bathroom and we have seen a picture that we are trying to duplicate. a thermostatic valve with 2 volume control valves

shower fixtures.jpg

If the volume controls are horizontal (next to each other) I would be able to plumb the valves (or I have an idea - using a 'tee') but vertical placement has me confused. Horizontal control valve placement would have all the pipes at the same depth (plane) see below picture - but vertical it seems that I would be using several elbows to move the pipe back and then return to get around the other control valve. Maybe that is what i need to do but thought I would ask in the forum.

horizontal valves.jpg

I am using PEX but could use copper leaving the thermostatic valve. The thermostatic value is Kohler k2972-ks and the volume control valves are k2974-k

Thanks in advance!!

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Are you allowed three flow valves in one shower? In California you are restricted to two.

What size drain do you have? You might need to order a 3" point (standard) drain. You can if you like order a linear drain with two outlets (both 2").

Best check your local code here before building your "CAR WASH"....

Have you considered that Marble might be the wrong choice for your shower?

Read this Ideabook before buying your tile. Also read the lengthy comments below.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I did not read the spec sheet for that Kohler valve (I prefer not to use Kohler stuff, but that's personal). Check carefully if it even allows a shutoff after the temperature control...some designs require the shutoff to be before the thermostatic control. But, a diverter is generally fine since once opened, there's always at least one outlet.

Albany13or

Reporter
Reaction score
John -
Thank you for your reply - we are trying to design a shower that has the hardware like the front wall of the picture (the picture looks to have wall jets on the left side but not for us). We are thinking of having a thermostatic control then 2 volume controls (in a vertical line) - one for the shower head and the other for the hand held. I was looking online for a diagram that showed this but found the 3 control valve (horizontal line) with wall jets - Sorry for the confusion.
So for your points:
We are only having 2 flow valves
Drain size is 2" ABS
We have discussed wall covering at this time, we know that the other 2 walls will be glass. The other 2 will be some type of tile maybe rectangle and ceramic
Thank you for the links - we will read before we make the final tile purchase

jadnashua - after reading your post we looked at the specs for the thermostatic value and found this:

The K-2972 and K-2975 thermostatic mixing valves do not contain
an integral volume control/shut-off valve. You must install a
separate volume control/shut-off valve (K-2974 or K-2977)
downstream of any used valve outlet.

I posted a very simple diagram after my original post on what I thought would be the plumbing and was wondering if there is another way to achieve the end result without or minimizing the 90 degree elbows. The other thing I am looking at is there is a min-max for the depth of the flow valves to the finished wall so if put the bottom one at the min and top at the max away from wall will might allow me to not use an elbow leaving the bottom flow control.

The only reason I am looking at other configurations is that elbows restrict/reduce water flow based off of some posts I have read on the internet. I am not a plumber so do not know how elbows really effect flow. Maybe I am over thinking this...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
jadnashua - after reading your post we looked at the specs forthe thermostatic value and found this:

The K-2972 and K-2975 thermostatic mixing valves do not contain
an integral volume control/shut-off valve. You must install a
separate volume control/shut-off valve (K-2974 or K-2977)
downstream of any used valve outlet.
It's best to know beforehand! Glad that one does what you want, some require a shutoff before.

Now, consider that you could use a shutoff followed by a diverter valve. Depending on the type you choose, you can achieve the similar control and be able to shut everything off with just one control, rather than multiple ones. The diverter valves are usually more expensive than shutoffs, though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks