New Shower install

Users who are viewing this thread

downrange

Reaction score
ok i am fixing to put in a new 3 piece shower. and some one told me to help get it level is to just dump a bunch of drywall mud on the floor and set the shower base down on top of that and level and set from there.. is this a good thing to do?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd use mortar. Some like a product called Stucolite (sp?). Having the full floor supported under the shower makes it feel much better and it also lasts longer without stress cracks.

philgristle

Reaction score
While I have never heard of using spackle for this purppose, it seems to me that using a matierial that won't turn to mush in a moisture environment would be more suitable.

Take jadnashua's advice. Good luck with it...

Phil

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
no to mud.

in a wet or damp place you have to be careful not to cut corners. Not good to just go with what you have on hand for other purposes. Water, moisture, humidity, vapor, are all present all the time in a shower area. H20 molecules are very good at slipping through barriers, getting behind things.

So, the mud would turn back to mush. It would rot or make other things rot. And mold is a part of that recipe.

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks