New shower floor...no pan

Users who are viewing this thread

Monica

Reaction score
I'd like to hear what some experts think of my idea. We're half way through gutting our main bathroom. I was going to order a Swanstone retrofit shower base to replace the old tub, that way we could keep the drain in the same place, plus I like the idea of solid surface material. Then we were going to tile the walls in the shower and floor in the rest of the bathroom.
Every place I call they are telling me 3 to 4 weeks for this shower base to come in and they've told my contractor the same thing. Plus the price has gone up through the roof.
I thought of this yesterday and I thought it was brilliant. (Excuse my modesty) I thought we could just tile the whole floor right into the shower area and have it slope gently toward the drain.
Then I thought instead of shower doors I would just get a stationary piece of clear glass maybe 32" wide or so for the side of the shower where the faucet is. To get in you would just walk around the panel.
My big question is how much does the floor have to slope for the water to drain? Will the main floor have to be raised?
All opinions and advice are welcome! We only want to do this once.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

YOu will want the glass at whichever end will have the most "splashing". If you raise the floor you will have to install the safety liner, and all that goes with it.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Regarding slope, I have seen 1/4" per foot used as a general rule, and I used this when building my tile shower. This is measured to the farthest wall from the drain. Not sure I understand your intentions fully - you will need a shower "pan" made of either a sheet-type membrane or other type of waterproof material such as hot mop. Simply eliminating the pan altogether and tiling a sloped floor will not give you a watertight shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks