New shower drain/trap DWV

Users who are viewing this thread

degscell

Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning a new shower install for my mother-in-law. I've attached pictures of the existing plumbing below.

The new shower pan probably won't have the drain in the same spot. How far can I move the drain pipe without moving the trap? 15 inches from drain to trap?

To move the trap I would have to cut after the vent (headed downhill) right? I don't see anywhere there is enough pipe to cut before the vent. If I cut it all out and replace new, that vent would be the hardest to get reattached. Luckily, it is open in the wall above and already has a fernco in the wall. So then I would just need to undo the fernco in the wall, cut everything in the crawlspace out to before the vent, drop everything down, and reattach everything. Ideally, with the trap directly under the shower.

Is there a fernco that goes around the hub of a fitting? I was thinking about doing this before. Now I think it's just better to cut it all out. Thank you. I will appreciate any response.

Attachments

• Shower Drain 3.jpg
    Shower Drain 3.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 168
  • Shower Drain 1.jpg
    Shower Drain 1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 161
  • Shower Drain 2.jpg
    Shower Drain 2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 141

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A RamBit is made to cut the pipe out of a fitting. That would be the cleanest way to redo the drain.

They make these for 1.5", 2.0", 3.0" and 4.0"

cut-back-trap-adapter-2.jpg

reed-pipe-reamer-2.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
If a slip 2 inch slip drain trap were available, would that be allowed by UPC? Easy access from unfinished basement.

I did not find a 2 inch slip drain trap, but I think it would make things easier if available.

degscell: Your pex should be supported every 32 horizontal inches.

reed-reamer-04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

degscell

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Terry! I've read this forum for quite some time. Great info on here.

2" RamBit is $30 on Amazon. Reed reamer is $70. I'm guessing the Reed tool lasts longer, for when you're doing this job pretty often.

degscell

Reaction score
If a slip 2 inch slip drain trap were available, would that be allowed by UPC? Easy access from unfinished basement.

I did not find a 2 inch slip drain trap, but I think it would make things easier if available.

degscell: Your pex should be supported every 32 horizontal inches.

Thanks for the reply Reach4. Good to know about the PEX. We had some other plumbers do our other shower in January and they ran all that new PEX. There was a whole bunch of other stuff they did wrong. We were happy just to have them finish the job and leave. Which is why I'm planning on doing this one myself.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks