New shower / check valve question

Users who are viewing this thread

griffths

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a new member here but have been able to get many questions answered over the years by searching through current and old threads. This time I was not able to find what I was looking for so decided to come out of the shadows to ask the experts here as the advice I have gotten prior has always worked well.

Initially the question was going to be simply what is the difference between a "y" swing check valve and a straight body swing check valve however I figured since I was taking the time to post a question, I might as well get advice on the entire project since it is a little unusual and I might be overlooking something important.

I am currently in the beginning stages of a bathroom remodel with a large his and hers shower. The initial plan was to have a shower head, hand held and possibly body sprays at each station but then my wife decided she wanted a 20" Grohe flush mount rainshower head (27288000) as well. I was initially planning to have it connected to her side but then thought it might be nice to use myself from time to time. This is where the check valve comes in. The plan is to feed both shower controls to the ceiling shower head through a check valve at each station so that either side can power the rainshower.

Thoughts? Crazy, impossible, genius or somewhere in between?

Thanks,

Jay

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Since BOTH showers should have a shutoff valve, i.e. control stop, for the rainhead, just connect both of them to it. You will NEVER both use it at the same time, and if you did, the check valves would be useless anyway.

griffths

Reaction score
Thanks. Sometimes the simplest solution gets overlooked.

What would happen if if both controls were running the rainhead? Would there be a possibility of damage to the cartridge, etc by back feeding water to it?

Also, at this point, just to satisfy my curiosity, what is the difference between a "y" check and straight body check valve beyond the obvious?

Thanks,

Jay

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like to use spring checks because they work the same in any position. They are usually quieter with less chatter. Some are soft/quiet close. Swing checks have limits and must be positioned correctly. They should not be installed in a vertical pipe if the water normally flows from the celling down or the flap will hang open.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks