New shallow well

Users who are viewing this thread

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
Hey valveman, I just got my PK1A delivered. Woohoo. Unfortunately I won’t be working on it until this storm passes. I do have a question though. The kit includes a part called a Snubber. What is this?

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
I am setting my PK1A up. After the CSV valve, on the way to the house, I need 3 things. Ball valve in case I want to throttle the output, spigot to drain things, and a check valve. In what order should I put these? Do I even need the check valve? I read somewhere that it keeps the pressure off the pump.

Last edited:

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
Gettin excited. I mounted the pump to the garage floor today and drilled holes in the wall to the crawl space for the suction pipe and pressure side. Trench digging day tomorrow.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
I could be in trouble. I said my spring flows (recovers) at 5 GPM. I measured it just now before proceeding any further with this project, and got 3 GPM. That’s the bad news. The good news is the underground pool holds about 500 gallons. So, what do I do now? Maybe put a dry run switch in? I was going to throttle the pump back so it only put out 5 GPM max, so that the flow in the stream bed after my suction pipe would never really stop. I suppose I could throttle it back to 3 max but I don’t think that would supply the house. If I put a dry run switch in and rely on the 500 gallons underground, and run the pump at 5 GPM, the flow from the spring that goes downstream will completely stop until I’m done using water and it recovers. If I’m only using 2 GPM, the flow down the stream will continue at 1 GPM. If I use 5 GPM, it will take 250 minutes for the pool to run dry. I figured that by taking 5 GPM and subtracting 3 GPM as I take the 5. Plenty, right? Yes, but then it would take 166 minutes for the pool to recover and water to flow downstream again. That’s almost 3 hours of dry stream bed. Of course that is the extreme. If all I did was take a 10 minute shower, I don’t think there’d be a problem. You might say so what? But the neighbors in my area would complain that I’m killing critters. Not sure what to do here. I’d like to keep going and just give it a try, but digging a trench and the plumbing involved is a lot of work just to find out it’s not gonna work. So I’m asking for advice.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A well or spring that makes 3 GPM and has 500 gallon storage will supply several houses. No need in restricting the flow, just the amount of time you use water. Even though the spring only makes 3 GPM you could pump 10 GPM for 50 minutes if needed. Most houses use less than 300 gallons per day, but they may have a peak demand of 5-10 GPM for a few minutes. As long as it will recover in a day it is plenty for a house.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
I like that answer. Actually I could run at 10 GPM for 70 minutes right? Remember it’s putting 3 GPM in while I’m taking 10 out. Ok. Thanks valveman you’ve relieved my mind. Back to diggin. Those sensors are expensive but maybe needed in this case.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I like that answer. Actually I could run at 10 GPM for 70 minutes right? Remember it’s putting 3 GPM in while I’m taking 10 out. Ok. Thanks valveman you’ve relieved my mind. Back to diggin. Those sensors are expensive but maybe needed in this case.

Yes. The sensor will pay for itself the first time you forget how long you can or more correctly cannot use water.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
5157E8AC-5340-46EA-BB06-E0F78BF72111.jpeg
Here’s a pic of the pump set up. Nothing is glued. On the output, in order, union, prime port, ball valve for shut off, ball valve for throttling (May eliminate this one), spigot.

Reach4

Reaction score
Nothing is glued.
That's a problem. When you add primer and glue, the pipe will fit farther into the fittings. If your pipe is not long enough before you add primer and glue, the pipe will not go all of the way. You could get leaks.
img_2.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks